• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How on earth does one do a proper push-up?

upstarter

Reaction score
So what exacty is the correct way of doing a proper push up? I've been doing them my way (which i thought was proper form) for the past 2 months or so, but have noticed that my left peck looks a tad bigger than the right one. Any thoughts? Perhaps my left arm is doing more work than my right one? the left peck usually feels sorer(sp?) than the right one.

Thanks,

Upstarter

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do one-arm pushups on your right arm until both sides are balanced.

Vecsus

Reaction score
I think there is something else happening if you are getting uneven muscle development from a basic pushup. If you are right-handed, then all of the muscles on that side will be better developed than the left side. The left pec is sore because it is working harder than the right side. That is a good indication that your pushups are working both sides evenly. Eventually the difference should diminish but will probably never go away completely.

My right forearm is stronger and slightly larger than my left from working a hammer in my younger years. My left calf appears more chiseled than my right because of the way I ride my mountain bike. I accept these oddities as part of who I am. I am not perfect. I have been shaped by the things I have done in my life - both mentally and physically.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vecsus
I accept these oddities as part of who I am. I am not perfect. I have been shaped by the things I have done in my life - both mentally and physically.
Ahhhhhh Grasshopper. You are wise beyond your years. If only the rest of mankind could grasp "” and adopt "” such a simple concept.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
Ahhhhhh Grasshopper. You are wise beyond your years. If only the rest of mankind could grasp "” and adopt "” such a simple concept.

He's found the Zen.

Actually, no! The Zen has found him.

kilokore

Reaction score
the same question has been bothering me. how many reps per how many sets are the proper way to do these? and how many times a week??

(for someone who has no access to gym any time soon)

Vecsus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
He's found the Zen.

Actually, no! The Zen has found him.

Actually, Zen and I ran into one another on the way to a killer party. Before Zen passed out on the couch I managed to get him talking about all sorts of things. Acceptance of those things that you cannot change was the most significant thing. But he did go on for quite a while about the existential aspects of staring into candle flames and the whole "OMMMM" thing.

Charley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by upstarter
So what exacty is the correct way of doing a proper push up? I've been doing them my way (which i thought was proper form) for the past 2 months or so, but have noticed that my left peck looks a tad bigger than the right one. Any thoughts? Perhaps my left arm is doing more work than my right one? the left peck usually feels sorer(sp?) than the right one.

Thanks,

Upstarter

If you really believe that the effect is different - left developing more - then you might try putting a 1" book under your right hand. That should cause the range of motion to be greater on the right, particularly at the top of the pushup. Try it and see if the burn is more even.

Frankley, I would not worry too much about it. Just try to get to the point where you can do them on one arm. I'm a very long way from that.

TylerDurden

Reaction score
Slow, not fast. I worked a job that had pushups as punishment when I was 18, and you had to do them right or they wouldn't count (Wildfire fire fighting, very paramilitary). Put your hands so that that your thumbs are just about where your shoulders are (Half your hand is where you shoulder is). Start fully extended, go down slowly. When you chest is a inch or two off the ground go up slowly (Should take three or four seconds to do one pushup, depends on if your doing them for workout and if your doing them as a group). Make it harder by holding a few inch's off the ground when down for 10 or more seconds. Anyway thats the way I was taught.

Vecsus

Reaction score
And keep your butt down! The most common mistake/cheat people make when doinng a pushup is sticking their ass up too high. I have been in the military for 17 years. Every time we have a fitness eval I see people doing them wrong. Going too fast is the other mistake. We have a guy in my unit that cranks out 80-90 pushups in 60 seconds. No one is doing good pushups that fast.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
He's found the Zen. Actually, no! The Zen has found him.
I have heard that at monasteries monks spend all their time trying to out-Zen each other, that it is a rather competitive business.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Actually, Zen and I ran into one another on the way to a killer party. Before Zen passed out on the couch I managed to get him talking about all sorts of things. Acceptance of those things that you cannot change was the most significant thing. But he did go on for quite a while about the existential aspects of staring into candle flames and the whole "OMMMM" thing.

ok, dude, for a newbie, you have gotten a serious belly laugh out of me, first thing in the morning. good job!

Vecsus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
ok, dude, for a newbie, you have gotten a serious belly laugh out of me, first thing in the morning. good job!

Newbie is a relative term. New to this board, yes. New to forums in general, no. Glad I was able to make someone laugh. But I have an evil variant of OCD so now I have to make someone cry to even everything out. Hope you're happy.
devil.gif

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Yeah, but what's your midichlorian level?

Jon.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads