• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How old were you when you bought your first piece of real estate?

dinted voice

Reaction score
When I was 23 (2 years ago), bought a 3 BR 2 BA house (1200 square feet) for $130,000. House was new construction and my wife and I have since paved driveway, stamped concrete patio, fenced in backyard (vinyl), and done more work than I could ever have imagined! Love every minute though!

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was 29 and it was a $50,000 Condo!

But this was in the mid 1970s in Houston, Tx., when things were really low priced.

After building up some equity through the early 1980s, the market absolutely tanked in Houston in 1985-1986 and I was very fortunate to get out of the Condo for what I owed on it.

In general, I would highly recommend buying in your 20s if you are able to and stable. And that is both for a residence and for investment purposes.

Hillsdale

Reaction score
I was 29 when I bought my 2 br condo. It cost me $125k in 1995. Sold it 7 years later for $250k. By the time I bought my 4br/ 3.5ba townhouse, the realestate market really took off. Sold it 4 years later for a HUGE profit. Now, I am in my dream house built to my specs. I will be staying here for a while.

JonB27

Reaction score
I was 23 and it was definetly my best investment yet, I have since upgraded substantially!

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man Im 25 and throwing away $770/mo renting now feel even more behind the pack. Thanks guys!!
plain.gif

TheHenry

Reaction score
I'm currently looking at some property in Florida in which I might invest in, depending on the required amount of capital. Still on my way to gather information and capital. Hopefully I'll make it before I turn 30.
smile.gif

M Stanfield

Reaction score
Are all you guys asskickers or what?! Take this guy, this guy's an asskicker:

Originally Posted by KBW
I was 20 (22 now) bought a condo next to the football stadium at my school for 320K (prebuild price) and they are already going for over 500 but I'm going to keep it. I had 100K from my chemical lawn business saved up (with my greenskeeper we made over 400K and split 50/50 while I was in hs on the side doing people's lawns while also working on the golf course). My dad gave me 100K and I financed 160 and used ~40 to make some changes in the kitchen and buy furniture. I only live there during the week since then I have gotten a lake house about 15-20 miles from campus. I'm still doing the same business (takes about 10-12 hours week) and start working as a CPA/auditor on the 14th.

i haven't bought jack; I've been renting and started working as a CPA/auditor. I have $10K in savings, generally $3K in checking, and $6K locked in a CD. I've never even considered owning property. What am I doing wrong?

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KBW
I was 20 (22 now) bought a condo next to the football stadium at my school for 320K (prebuild price) and they are already going for over 500 but I'm going to keep it. I had 100K from my chemical lawn business saved up (with my greenskeeper we made over 400K and split 50/50 while I was in hs on the side doing people's lawns while also working on the golf course). My dad gave me 100K and I financed 160 and used ~40 to make some changes in the kitchen and buy furniture. I only live there during the week since then I have gotten a lake house about 15-20 miles from campus. I'm still doing the same business (takes about 10-12 hours week) and start working as a CPA/auditor on the 14th.

How did your dad give you $100k without having half of it taken away as gift tax?

Shraka

Reaction score
... Oh crap. I feel really poor. I'm 26 and still don't have anywhere near enough money for a house.

I need a better job.
laugh.gif

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the way prices are in northern new jersey i still won't be able to buy for a while, i am 23 :|

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
About to send my first mortgage payment off to the bank... so 26.

Purchase price over 500k.

Skip87

Reaction score
Originally Posted by briancl
About to send my first mortgage payment off to the bank... so 26.

Purchase price over 500k.

What do you do for a living, I must assume you're only 4 years out of undergrad?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads