1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

How Often to Shave?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by California Dreamer, Nov 10, 2006.

1. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I really dislike the feeling of not shaving properly.

Once I was somewhere where they had no running water. I had to have water brought in pots and then boiled and subsequently emptied out since the razor had to rinsed every single time.

2. Britalian

Britalian Senior member

Also, does anyone notice a difference during and post-shave, depending on the hardness of the water- if travelling, for example?

3. briancl

briancl Senior member

I have sensitive skin and get lots of in grown hairs. I shave every 4 or 5 days. I think it looks fine until about day 3.5 or 4. Then I look homeless. Fortunately, I work from home, and my girlfriend doesn't mind. When I'm traveling for work and in front of a customer, I shave every 3 days.

4. javyn

javyn Senior member

Exactly right.

I shave every day, but it's no problem because of the fun factor of the DE and brush. I just find them to hit the spot, closer than anything I've used previously and no irritation.

5. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

"Hard water also dries skin, dulls hair and makes shaving difficult."

6. Stylin-1

Stylin-1 Senior member

Maybe some people's face needs a break, but I shave every day including weekends and my skin is fine. If you're having trouble, look at the products you use rather than the frequency. Personally, I use cheap products and my skin has never been better since I was a kid.

Nivea sensitive gel in the white can thing - about $4
    Store brand Sensor Excel (2-blade) razors - $.75 each, last for weeks
    Cetaphil cream in the big pump thing - about $8 but it lasts forever
    Prescription Benzoyl Peroxide 5%, just a tiny bit to prevent breaking out - $20 or something but it's a few months' worth

And that's it.

I use the Nivea, blue or white can; good stuff. No problems here either. I hear the Aveeno is good as well.

7. Jovan

Jovan Senior member

My problem is that my beard grows out really-super-quick, so I have to shave everyday or I look like a hobo. Maybe that has to do with my razor burn problem...

8. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

What is a DE?

Rocker here.

Except for the Jack and Coke.

9. j

j Senior member Admin

What is a DE?

Rocker here.

Except for the Jack and Coke.

Double-edge razor, the kind that takes the nasty looking blades.

10. thinman

thinman Senior member

Double-edge razor, the kind that takes the nasty looking blades.

The kind that shreds my face.

I used to shave every 2nd day (with a Sensor Exel) since my beard grows slowly and I hate to shave. I've begun shaving every day since the whiskers on my chin are going "blonde" as I age (gulp).

11. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

OMG. My dad used to use those...

I don't think I'd ever want one of those things near my face.

Sorta like not letting scissors near my nads for those vasectomies everyone (usually women didja notice) seems to like so much.

12. javyn

javyn Senior member

You should get one Steve. Seriously, it is shaving nirvana. [​IMG]

13. lsquare

lsquare Senior member

I honestly wouldn't mind growing a beard if the hair grows out evenly. I notice that almost all of you guys use a razor, but I use one of those electric shavers and I'm wondering if this method is even worse than using a razor? I have had razor burns for almost a year now. The seriousness alternate with the season. I'm just wondering what I can do right now with my electric shaver to reduce or prevent anymore razor burn? Do I need to use those shaving gels with the electric shaver?

14. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

once a week, maybe less [​IMG] I feel naked without facial hair of some sort.

15. denimdestroyedmylife

denimdestroyedmylife Senior member

yeah, i shave twice a week.

just switched from merkur to derby blades and i'm in heaven. it feels like shaving with a stick of butter!

aaaaaah!

16. jackmccullough

jackmccullough Well-Known Member

Every day up until November 10, 1969. Never thereafter. So far it's working pretty well.

17. Bradford

Bradford Senior member

This whole thread takes me to the question I had after reading an article about Clive Owen (in USA Weekend) in which it said his only "movie star" affectation was his 3-day stubble that he wears at all times...

How do you consistently wear 3-day stubble? Even going back to Don Johnson/Miami Vice I've never understood this... don't you have to shave every few days and then wouldn't there be a day or two before the stubble grows back... and then if you didn't shave... wouldn't it get too long...

Somebody explain how this works?

18. victory

victory Well-Known Member

I shave every weekday. If I'm staying in all day either on Saturday or Sunday, I won't shave for a day.

19. malek

malek Well-Known Member

I need to shave twice or 3 times a week...

20. Interista

Interista Member

How do you consistently wear 3-day stubble? Even going back to Don Johnson/Miami Vice I've never understood this... don't you have to shave every few days and then wouldn't there be a day or two before the stubble grows back... and then if you didn't shave... wouldn't it get too long...

Somebody explain how this works?

People want the appearance of three-day stubble, but they don't get the look by shaving every three days.

The easiest way is to just use a sideburn trimmer and "shave" the entirety of the face and neck. You'll trim the hair to about a millimeter in length, and get the "sandpaper" result you desire.

To clean it up, I ususally keep the neck clean-shaven and trim the beard every three days or so. If you prefer a "raw" look that Don Johnson rocked, keep the neck and face at equal length.