How Often to Shave?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by California Dreamer, Nov 10, 2006.

1. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Probably been covered heaps of times before, so please forgive a newbie.

I read recently that you should not shave every day, as the skin needs time to recover from the razor. Personally I prefer to start every day clean-shaven, but I have to acknowledge that I can never quite shake a bit of lingering neck redness. So maybe I should cut back a bit.

What do you think? Does the face need a break?

2. Bandwagonesque

Bandwagonesque Senior member

I think I look better with a day or two of stubble, so generally every 3 days. Or if it's the weekend, maybe 4 days. Especially during winter when shaving can really strip the moisure from my face. Saves money on blades, and I don't have to worry so often about razor burn or sensitive skin.

3. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

Every other day would be ideal but stubble is not professional so I shave everyday.

4. ted

ted Senior member

I usually shave twice a day, once in the morning before going to work and once in the late afternoon so I don't look so unkempt in the evening. There are some of us with very dark and heavy beards so this is necessary - if only to be kissable - [​IMG]

5. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Every day, including weekends. I would so love to grow a beard, but I don't have full coverage on my face. I even liked wearing stubble until I saw a photo of myself and hated it. So, it's daily scraping for yours truly.

6. Matt

Matt [email protected]

I try to give myself the weekends off. Also, if I know I am going to be office-bound (as opposed to client facing), ill give myself a day off there as well.

7. gamelan

gamelan Senior member

everyday unfortunately. shaving is one of those tasks i loathe, on par with doing the laundry and ironing. i so look forward to weekends or vacations where i can forgo shaving for days at a time.

you can never be too sure, but i imagine you're using some gel for the shaving? that should minimize any lingering irritation post-shave.

-Jeff

8. MrRogers

MrRogers Senior member

Everyday. Seeing patients unshaven is just not professional IMO even if someone may look better with some stubble (I dont). I find that with a proper routine and good products (art of shaving) I dont get any cumulative irritation.

MrR

9. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

Maybe some people's face needs a break, but I shave every day including weekends and my skin is fine. If you're having trouble, look at the products you use rather than the frequency. Personally, I use cheap products and my skin has never been better since I was a kid.

Nivea sensitive gel in the white can thing - about $4
    Store brand Sensor Excel (2-blade) razors - $.75 each, last for weeks
    Cetaphil cream in the big pump thing - about $8 but it lasts forever
    Prescription Benzoyl Peroxide 5%, just a tiny bit to prevent breaking out - $20 or something but it's a few months' worth

And that's it.

10. Matt

Matt [email protected]

you given up the DE, J?

11. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

you given up the DE, J?
    Yeah, it was too much of a hassle and not enough reward. It might be better with better blades, but at the time of morning that I shave I'm not present enough to be wielding that toward my face.

12. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

I shave every day because I think my second day stubble looks unprofessional as well.

However, I shave with AND against the grain only 1 day per week. All of the other days I shave only with the grain (kind of a touch up).

I don't shave on the weekends unless I have some kind of important function to go to.

13. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

I shave every day because I think my second day stubble looks unprofessional as well.

However, I shave with AND against the grain only 1 day per week. All of the other days I shave only with the grain (kind of a touch up).

I don't shave on the weekends unless I have some kind of important function to go to.

For products, I use Gillette Mach 3 razors and Lab Series gel. Aesop skin tonic followed by Olay moisturiser afterwards. Sometimes use the Lab Series balm instead. I tend to shave both ways every day. Maybe Odoreater's idea might work for me.

14. MCsommerreid

MCsommerreid Senior member

I'm in the same boat as ted. When I need to look clean and professional it's twice a day.

But now that I'm a full time student I dont think I've shaved in something like 2 weeks. Basically since I can look like a slacker I shave whenever I look particularly shaggy.

15. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Every other day would be ideal but stubble is not professional so I shave everyday.
    +1