• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

how often do your suits get cleaned?

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I also learned from the Fedora Lounge that you can dust your suits with lemon-scented Pledge.

For me, as a longtime lover of Glade, another fine Johnson product (they are a family company), the move to Pledge was an easy one.

Back to the lemon scent: do not use cinnamon scent. It will attract the dogs.

- B

ive been using basil for a year now, getting a bit tired of it.
just cant wait for the jalapeno, its coming soon.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xenon
BTW when the interior of a car is professionally and properly steam cleaned (with true very hot and dry focused steam), the dirt is only loosened. It must still be vacumed(sp?) to actually remove the dirt.

How many here vacume the suits?

tailor, how often do you clean your sock puppets?

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well I have a wonderfull fabric steamer back home so I only have to send my suits to the cleaners about 3 or 4 times a year tops.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
tailor, how often do you clean your sock puppets?

daily, the little buggers are very fastidious.

blackjack

Reaction score
Originally Posted by a tailor
its a wrinkle eraser. it does not clean, nor give you a trouser crease.

Wouldn't all that steam however provide some sort of disinfecting and cleaning effect?

As for the press, a finishing it up wit a decent steam iron - at least on the trousers - might work.

I admit that nothing beats getting the suits back from the cleaners - all clean and with a razor-edge crease on the trousers.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackjack
Wouldn't all that steam however provide some sort of disinfecting and cleaning effect?

As for the press, a finishing it up wit a decent steam iron - at least on the trousers - might work.

I admit that nothing beats getting the suits back from the cleaners - all clean and with a razor-edge crease on the trousers.

if the steam was hot enough to cause severe burns, it would kill lil buggers in the suit.
but the crud would still be in there, including the dead lil buggers.
if you have to finish up with a steam iron. then why invest in the steam machine?
besides a dry iron with a press cloth gives the you the knife edge crease.

AEricson

Reaction score
as often as they need it - now i have the luxury to work from home so the closest i get to a suit is typically boxers and an old tshirt, but when i do wear a suit i am likely to hang it right back in the closet after its day out. things that require a nice dry cleaning are when im around smoking (which my state's smoking ban has helped to alleviate) or get something on it. ive heard that dry cleaning is to be avoided with your suits as the chemicals can be very harsh and damaging so i do my best to just febreze my clothes back up to par and throw em back on the hanger - most of my clothes are second hand so a dry cleaning can often cost more than the clothing itself!

Not Ed Harris

Reaction score
I pretty much get by on brushing, airing and pressing unless there's some sort of incident when only dry cleaning will do. Maybe once or twice a year.

As an aside, I was in Ozwald Boateng's shop on Savile Row a couple of weeks ago casting an eye over their sale rack and I overheard the sales assistant talking to another customer. He recommended that they have their suit dry cleaned as often as possible. Now I'm sure their wares would probably stand up to it pretty well, but that can't be right.

Mark Seitelman

Reaction score
I agree with Tailor.

There seems to be this shared, conventional wisdom that one should not dry clean. Many members boast that they never have their suits dry cleaned.

Steam from a shower and brushing is not enough for perspiration, skin oils, skin creams, spilled drinks, food, etc.

I think that dry cleaning should be done sparingly. Minimally, it should be done at the end of the season especially with summer clothes.

Dry cleaning is a necessary evil.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark Seitelman
I agree with Tailor.

There seems to be this shared, conventional wisdom that one should not dry clean. Many members boast that they never have their suits dry cleaned.

Steam from a shower and brushing is not enough for perspiration, skin oils, skin creams, spilled drinks, food, etc.

I think that dry cleaning should be done sparingly. Minimally, it should be done at the end of the season especially with summer clothes.

Dry cleaning is a necessary evil.

Mark I figured you would know this since you're in the city as well. After your cleanings, are you satisfied with the pressing/shaping or do you take it back to the maker?

GBer

Reaction score
For the people who never clean it, do you wear your suits rarely? If I am traveling and get all sweaty trying to catch my connecting flight across a huge airport, I do need to clean it. It's not good for it, but better than a sweaty smell. Never wear my best for plane travel.

greger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by a tailor
s
disclamer:: i pay to have my clothes cleaned,. thats the only connection i have with the dry cleaning industry.

So, this does not include pressing?

Or, do you trust them to press your fine work?

softy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use one of these. Make sure you get the 10-gallon capacity one so you can cram both the coat and pants in at the same time. No sense in having to do these things twice.

salad-spinner.jpg

bewing77

Reaction score
Originally Posted by calvinloke
Never.

Sponge and press is the way. That was the only way before the invention of dry cleaning.

Yea, and people used to take a bath twice a year as well and where generally dirt bag filthy. Not everything is good just because that's the way it used to be before this and that invention.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics