• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How often do you wear a hat with your outfits?

jov777

Reaction score
all depends if i've showered or not.

shower = no hat
no shower = hat

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now that it's cold, everyday. In summer, prob 4 times a week.

Summer= panama
Winter, Spring , Fall= Fedora

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'll wear a baseball cap if I go to the beach, but I assume you mean proper outfits. In which case, never ever.

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jov777
all depends if i've showered or not.

shower = no hat
no shower = hat

you dirty??

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rarely in Summer but most days in winter - a black or brown hat that's basically a narrowish brimmed fedora.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
I'll wear a baseball cap if I go to the beach, but I assume you mean proper outfits. In which case, never ever.

Panama at the beach, Tilly on the boat. My dermatologist likes me.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Panama Montecristi 1-2x a week in the summer, beaver fedora with overcoat in the winter most days, rarely in spring or fall.

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hats make my forehead break out like a 14 year old girl.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
I wear a hat every day. Usually a felt fedora (or straw in season). Sometimes, a flat cap or newsboy on the weekends.
At what age did you start wearing one? Did it feel odd at first?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
When it's really, really cold. Even then, not every time.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
At what age did you start wearing one? Did it feel odd at first?
I started around 19/20, and didn't wear it every day. It didn't seem that odd because I wore it mostly with an overcoat. Also, the Indiana Jones movies had popularized it, so it wasn't that strange (yes, I wore it with a leather jacket, too - that's when I felt the most self-conscious as I should have). Also, I was living at the time in London, which meant a hat of some kind was practical. Once I graduated college and started working, I wore it every day that I wore an overcoat. I didn't really wear it at first when I wasn't wearing an overcoat at first, but eventually, I got to the point where I was more comfortable wearing a hat than not wearing one so wear one all the time. Even now, though, unless the weather requires one, I don't take it with me when I step out from my office in the middle of the day but plan to return. Basically, my comfort level got to the point to where I went from being comfortable wearing a hat to being les comfortable not wearing one when I am getting dressed. You are right to focus on comfort level. It sits right on your head, so it is hard not to notice that you are wearing one, so you have to be comfortable with it. I am pretty sure that if you wore one every day for a month in SF this winter, it would become a non-issue for you. BTW, I almost never use an umbrella except for real downpours - a hat and an overcoat is enough for me.

dsmolken

Reaction score
Rarely in the spring/summer, about every other day in fall/winter.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads