1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

How often do you wash your hair?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Aiwass, Mar 22, 2007.

1. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Hot water and a quick lather is more than enough to rinse all of the salt/sweat residue out of your hair.
    Isnt that considered washing it? I shampoo with Kiehls herbal shampoo and condition with Kiehls amino acid conditioner. My hair the best its every been, switched from Grocery store 'expensive' brands and couldnt be happier.

2. kgmessier

kgmessier Senior member

I have to wash my hair every day. For me, it's a psychological thing--I feel dirty and greasy if I don't shampoo. I wish I could get over that, because I know it's better if I don't shampoo as often.

- Keith

3. vincewchan

vincewchan Member

4. phreak

phreak Senior member

havent washed it with shampoo in about a month, and about a month before that

i use conditioner a couple times a week if i wear it straight back.

a quick rinse gets all the filth out and keeps my grease at an optimal level

5. ThisFlyGuy

ThisFlyGuy Senior member

every other day with shampoo.
    otherwise just normal rinse everyday

6. Listi

Listi Senior member

I wash my hair daily, but i just use a bar of soap. Since I wash my body daily, may as well wash my hair, and wash them both in the same fashion.

You do realize that bar soap is much harsher than shampoo on your hair right?

7. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Senior member

Rinse everyday, shampoo once or twice a week. I have super straight hair so I need some grease for texture.

8. Jappo

Jappo New Member

every day. every other day in winter [​IMG]

9. shellshock

shellshock Senior member

I shampoo with Kiehls herbal shampoo and condition with Kiehls amino acid conditioner. My hair the best its every been, switched from Grocery store 'expensive' brands and couldnt be happier.

Love Kiehls products! However the best shampoo/conditioner i've tried is by Phyto. its too expensive for me to buy regularly though -_-

I'm surprised at the people that condition their hair so much, even when they haven't washed it! There is such a thing as over-conditioning, as conditioners add a chemical layer on your hair...

I wash every other day. In the winter I occasionally go 2 days before a wash. Washing every day makes it really dried out.

10. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

You do realize that bar soap is much harsher than shampoo on your hair right?

it hasn't done anything terrible to my hair yet. To be honest, i don't notice any difference between the soap and shampoo after i get out of the shower. When i used to use conditioner, it used to make it all soft and smooth, but this is probably more a coating of residue from the conditioner than any actual change in my hair.

It is pretty much just protein after all.

i also don't see how use of shampoo could have any long term effects. Hair grows out and falls off anyway. Unless it has some type of effect on the cells in the scalp.

11. SkinnyGoomba

It falls out faster if you use shitty products.

12. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

It falls out faster if you use shitty products.

according to whom? why?

13. Listi

Listi Senior member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sebum#Sebum
    Milder soaps will not remove as much sebum from your hair, where a harsh and powerful soap that is designed for cutting grease and tough dirt will. If you go to the wikipedia article, it will be immediately obvious that sebum is a good thing to have on your hair, but that it is also a good idea to get rid of it periodically. Shampoos and conditioners contain mild soaps and surfactants and will remove some oils from your hair, but a harsh soap that can, for example, remove grease from your hands will obviously remove not just the bad, but also the good from your hair. Conditioner is important after shampooing because it gives you back some oils that are similar to sebum. I haven't seen your hair up close, but I've seen people with very obviously damaged hair before. I'd be willing to bet your hair will fall out faster if you use shitty products, although I didn't look hard enough to find any studies about that. But it is obvious that your hair will not be as healthy if you oversoap it as treating it well.

14. darkdream

darkdream Senior member

At least once a day and up to 3 times a day is not uncommon. I hate being next to anyone who's hair smells bad. Well I have extremely thick hair so it is more maintenance.

15. SkinnyGoomba

according to whom? why?

Because crappy products are made with crappy ingredients.

Great SN, someone turned me onto Hendrix Gin last week.

16. Listi

Listi Senior member

Almost 100% sure he's talking about the guitarist.

17. SkinnyGoomba

Good point, since its Hendricks. I enjoy it more then hearing all along the watchtower one more time.

18. wmmk

wmmk Senior member

Rinse thoroughly everyday, condition one a week, shampoo once a month.

19. boxdiver

boxdiver Senior member

I almost wish I never came in this thread, as I've seen people who wash it multiple times daily to once/month.

My dilemma is simple: If my hair is not washed daily, it looks dirty and greasy. In fact, if I don't wash my hair (with shampoo) at the end of the day, my face is extra greasy when I wakeup from it rubbing against the pillow.

20. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sebum#Sebum

Milder soaps will not remove as much sebum from your hair, where a harsh and powerful soap that is designed for cutting grease and tough dirt will. If you go to the wikipedia article, it will be immediately obvious that sebum is a good thing to have on your hair, but that it is also a good idea to get rid of it periodically. Shampoos and conditioners contain mild soaps and surfactants and will remove some oils from your hair, but a harsh soap that can, for example, remove grease from your hands will obviously remove not just the bad, but also the good from your hair.

Conditioner is important after shampooing because it gives you back some oils that are similar to sebum. I haven't seen your hair up close, but I've seen people with very obviously damaged hair before. I'd be willing to bet your hair will fall out faster if you use shitty products, although I didn't look hard enough to find any studies about that. But it is obvious that your hair will not be as healthy if you oversoap it as treating it well.

Bar soap is not very strong. Try washing your hands with bar soap after working on a car and you'll see what i mean.

Sebaceous glands are located all over your body, not just on hair.

The proteins and vitamins in shampoo are pretty much useless. They don't penetrate into the hair or past the layers of dead cells on your scalp. Even if they did somehow penetrate into hair, you have to remember that hair is dead, so there is no way that they could be useful.

Hair is made beneath the dead layers of skin. I've never heard of a product proven to increase the health of the hair.

Having said that, from time to time i do enjoy the luxury of nice shampoo and conditioner, if only for the smell, and the cosmetic feel that the conditioner leaves.

Yeah, talking about the guitarist. I have been meaning to try that gin though. i've heard it's pretty good.