• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How Often Do You Talk to Your Parents?

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For those whose parents are still alive, how regularly do you give them a call to say hi (birthdays and holidays notwithstanding)?

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Make a long distance call to my dad usually once a week. Every other week at worst. He's getting old so every chance just to say hi and catch up is important. However we're both not huge phone conversationalists so they're pretty straightforward calls.

Call my mom around once a week but see her for lunch/dinner most weekends.

Last edited:

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
never talk to them unless its necessary. sad but that's how we grew up.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
for most of my 20's hardly talked to them at all - my dad once every few months, my mom maybe every 2-3 weeks.

now, my mom probably 10-12 times a month, and my dad once a month

kasper007

Reaction score
my mom retired relatively early (57) and she doesn't fit the early retiree profile and now she's a little bored so she calls me pretty much every other day and it's often pretty clear that it's out of boredom. as much as i love her, i don't even speak that often with my best friends and often feel that we'd have better conversations if we talked a little less often.

topcatny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I speak to my mother on all of the obligatory days (Her Birthday, Mother's Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas). I last spoke to her on Mother's Day and probably won't speak to her until Thanksgiving. She never calls me, in that 6 month span of silence is my birthday and my oldest daughter's birthday, neither of which will be acknowledged by her.

I speak to my father on average about once a month. He's not real good about calling so I am usually the one initiating the phone call.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After over a year of not speaking to him, I spoke to my father for the first time a few months ago. It won't be happening again.

With my mom, it probably averages 3 or 4 times per month, as well as a visit about once a month.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I talk to my parents at least once a week. They usually call after they've had dinner to make sure I've eaten, blah, blah. Convos usually last about 30 minutes. Surprisingly, when my father is in the mood, he can be very chatty. Most times, it's just a hello.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I call them once a week on Sunday nights. They're local, so I also see them on all major holidays, including Mother's Day and Father's Day.

Jackie Treehorn

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
My father wrote to me once, listing the four chief virtues: wisdom, justice, fortitude and temperance. As I read the list, I knew I had none of them. But I have other virtues, father. Ambition. That can be a virtue when it drives us to excel. Resourcefulness, courage, perhaps not on the battlefield, but... there are many forms of courage. Devotion, to my family and to him. But none of my virtues were on his list. Even then, it was as if he didn't want me for his son.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mine are local, so we see them a lot. They like to do a lot of activities with my kids and often sit for us as well.

Not sure how this will change as the kids (and my parents) get older ... :(

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My mother, pretty much daily. My father, About once or twice à month, and thats out of courtesy.

They divorced when i was 10, and my father kicked me out at 14. While my mother has helped me, my dad has done nothing but make my life miserable. My sister never wants to see him Again, so i stay in contact just for him to have at least one kid left.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I talk to my mother a few times per week. My father is usually standing around in the background listening but I don't talk to him all that often because there's usually not much to say -- my mother usually lets me know the weather forecast there (a couple thousand miles away) and asks me when I'm coming home next.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone else have their parents on Facebook?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Talk to my mom once a week. Haven't spoken to dad in yrs...
Parents not on FB. Either am i!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads