• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How often do you get complimented about your outfit?

SeanathonHuff

Reaction score
the only verbal complements I've ever received for clothing was a pair of Kangaroos I got for $24 on 6pm. Five or six complements so far. Yeah... people don't know what looks good. I get a lot of smiles when I'm wearing my grown man outfits, so I guess that's good enough. I think footwear gets complements because of the diversity. Size/shape, colour, material. To strike someone's fancy, you have to get the combination of those all right, making it a much more impressive and complement-worthy task. AND your shoes are often the loudest part of an outift, for the streetwear crowd, so they're bound to get noticed more. Solid t, solid indigo jeans, 6 colours on shoes? When I wore graphic tees and plain shoes that were objectively better looking, I still got complements on the tee because it overpowered the simplicity of the shoe.
1306095-p-DETAILED.jpg
They do look fresh in person, I guess, but I've worn rare dunks and jordans that get passed up all the time. EDIT: The "Sweetness" and 34 represent Walter Payton, prolific Bears RB who died in '99.

pseudonym

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've recently gotten compliments on my socks.

Sock game ftw

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by naprava
co-worker - nice boots what are they

me - alden

co-worker - never heard, how much?

me - $$$

co-worker - wow do you pack fudge?

frown.gif
frown.gif

Welcome to styleforum, first rule about sf is you never talk about price.

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cote
Exactly. I rarely get any compliments except on footwear sometimes.

Yep, most people will notice and comment on shoes more than anything else in an outfit. Can anyone offer an explanation for this phenomena?

The only thing I can come up with is that shoes are likely the most expensive items in their own (otherwise cheap) wardrobe, thus the increased awareness and interest in shoes. For example, I know people who wear $25 jeans, $10 t-shirt, and $150 shoes.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Lately every pair of baller sneakers I own gets comments or compliments of some sort, even the patent bone achilles mids I'm wearing today or the special edition achilles lows (black suede/patent tongue & toe) are apparently really flashy for people around here. I guess patent anything is.

Made in California

Reaction score
I very consistently get complimented on my sneakers. In true SF style I've had someone yell "***" out the window of a moving car. I get complimented pretty regularly from friends and randoms both. I assume this is because I kick ass at dressing well. To expand on that I have always thought that if people are not feeling compelled to comment on your outfit, your appearance is boring.

Jarandas

Reaction score
At work: I only get compliments about my watches, because I wear suits and most of the people wear similar ones.

Gym: I wear odd t-shirts and imported training shoes, people asks me often about them.

Weekends: I get a lot of compliments, people in Spain have a tendence to wear very similar clothes depending on their social status, almost like a uniform.

The fact that I have a more international style makes quite a difference, and people seem to appreciate it.

In my opinion, when it comes to fashion, Spain is a bit below average (some would say not only in fashion), and things take a long time to catch.

wannabeagiant

Reaction score
^ It can't be worse than Canada. People dress like **** here (although the weather is partly to blame). The most compliments/comments I've gotten lately is on this old Indian military watch that I put on a nato strap. Everybody thinks it's the j crew timex. Should I take it as an insult that people think I would spend $150 on a timex?

changy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BB1
I rarely receive any compliments on what I'm wearing, and I generally consider this to be a good thing. Since most people have limited knowledge and appreciation for style, their comments are often not meaningful and may even be indicative of a problem with your outfit.

Most people will compliment you on your clothing because what you're wearing caught their attention. But catching the average person's attention is often be caused by your outfit creating a poor sense of confluence-- i.e. the concept of the body and clothing becoming one and indistinguishable from each other. An outfit may convey poor confluence if you wear clothing that's....

1. Too tight
2. Too loose
3. Mismatched styles
4. Does not match your personality
5. Mismatched to the current environment or activity

Thus rather than seeing an integrated image, others may see you and your clothing as two very seperate things. Once someone spots that you're wearing "fashion", they are likely to comment. This may even result in a compliment since the observer can tell you've made an effort to be "dressed up", thus purveyors of polite small talk (not myself) will feel compelled to complement you.

Agreed. Though I do appreciate comments from people who know their products.

E.g. Regarding my seiko orange monster. If some random guy says "That's a nice watch" It's probably because the dial is orange. If a guy wearing a grand seiko says the same thing, most likely he knows a thing or 2 about watches/seikos and I would appreciate his comment alot more.

changy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wannabeagiant
^ It can't be worse than Canada. People dress like **** here (although the weather is partly to blame). The most compliments/comments I've gotten lately is on this old Indian military watch that I put on a nato strap. Everybody thinks it's the j crew timex. Should I take it as an insult that people think I would spend $150 on a timex?

There are a lot of badly dressed brand whores in Canada. I remember seeing more Ed Hardy in Calgary than in NJ.

*Tee*

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Among my family-/friends-/acquaintances circle -> daily Among strangers -> weekly Outside ****- or metrosexual-oriented areas -> never
frown.gif

aphextwin07

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BB1
Yep, most people will notice and comment on shoes more than anything else in an outfit. Can anyone offer an explanation for this phenomena?

The only thing I can come up with is that shoes are likely the most expensive items in their own (otherwise cheap) wardrobe, thus the increased awareness and interest in shoes. For example, I know people who wear $25 jeans, $10 t-shirt, and $150 shoes.

uh... seriously? the first thing a woman looks at after making eye contact is your shoes. maybe not all the time, but like 99 times out of 100. this is basically the one and only indicator she would need to judge a potential suitor if she were still interested after the initial eye contact, not unlike you checking out some jugs or dat ass. wouldn't really think that such a thing required explanation.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I can't tell you the number of comments I get when I wear a pocket square. and, every time I wear those burgandy chinos (seriously I'm not spamming) somebody says something to me. Every time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads