• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How often do you dry clean your trousers?

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by T900
even on summer days? from where i am from, it is summer all year round. so wondering if i can follow what you guys are doing i.e. clean only when it is noticably dirty. i do refrain from bringing it to the cleaners though; you should have seen how they treat your stuff.
one thing to note is that most of us have lots of slacks, we don't wear any particular pair too often. I usually dry clean a couple times a year. I'm pretty sensitive to smell, even my own, but I'm paranoid of being the smelly one. Also, I fear they're stained, unnoticed. I don't have a particular timeline, I just have them cleaned when I can't remember the last time I cleaned them.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Renault78law
one thing to note is that most of us have lots of slacks, we don't wear any particular pair too often. I usually dry clean a couple times a year. I'm pretty sensitive to smell, even my own, but I'm paranoid of being the smelly one. Also, I fear they're stained, unnoticed. I don't have a particular timeline, I just have them cleaned when I can't remember the last time I cleaned them.

nasty...this is probably the wrong group to listen to. I think (for pricey things) you'll know when to dry clean them. Main point is, if going out or you think they may get dirty, dress in your non pricey clothes. Otherwise, if you wear them often, around once a month. If you have a large choice of suits and seperates you can add more time in between

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never have dress trousers get smelly. It's not like I run 10K in them. I dry clean when they get stained and at most once a year, before off-season storage.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Steve Boorstein writes that suit pants are dry-cleaned about three times as often as suit jackets. It appears that he agrees with the practice. He explicitly states that it's worth considering an extra pair of suit pants. You can infer from that advice how often to dry-clean odd trousers.

billiebob

Reaction score
Wouldn't this fade them noticeably relative to the suit jacket? I can't imagine wool is totally, completely colorfast in dry cleaning 3 times as often as jackets.

Anyone do this?

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ALWAYS dry clean the jacket and pants together. Cleaning pants three times more than coats will result in color differences - especially with dark suits.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant
Steve Boorstein writes that suit pants are dry-cleaned about three times as often as suit jackets. It appears that he agrees with the practice. He explicitly states that it's worth considering an extra pair of suit pants. You can infer from that advice how often to dry-clean odd trousers.
He owns a dry cleaning business. What do you expect him to say?

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
i dont even wait till they look or smell dirty.
just like my tshirts or jeans that touch directly at my skin (especially during warmer days) i have them washed all the time just because perspiration and sloughing of skin cells and dust in the air accumulates and i like to look and smell clean, because i dont use any cologne to cover any smells up.

same with odd trousers, since the trousers directly touch my leg skin and i am working and warm day and perspiring (meaning not noticeable perspiration, you can still perspire over course of a day, lose water and oils you just dont notice) that all accumulates and if i wear trousers that just became noticeably dirty or smelly , that means ive been wearing them on the verge of dirtiness.
i usually judge after a 6-7 wearings of a dress trouser i would go ahead and send them to the cleaners.
less frequent during the fall and winter seasons.

pkincy

Reaction score
I religiously steam my slacks immediately after every wearing. I have both a Rowenta commercial hand steamer and the Whirlpool cabinet steamer.

With that care and my rotation (50 pair of odd slacks that are seldom worn), my slacks may never need cleaning unless I spill something on them.

Perry

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I NEVER wash my nudie jeans. Wait... wrong forum, sorry.

!luc

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When you take a suit to be cleaned, don't assume that the jacket will be drycleaned.

Boorstein mostly skirts the issue of fading, although he admits it happens. Black is the color most prone to fading, but (let's not start a debate) black shouldn't be worn regularly for typical business. The likelihood of fading is affected by the method of drycleaning. Very likely most suits would wear out in other ways before jacket-pants color differences become obvious.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads