1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

How often do you dry clean your trousers?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by T900, Oct 1, 2006.

1. EL72

EL72 Senior member

I ALWAYS dry clean the jacket and pants together. Cleaning pants three times more than coats will result in color differences - especially with dark suits.

2. dah328

dah328 Senior member

Steve Boorstein writes that suit pants are dry-cleaned about three times as often as suit jackets. It appears that he agrees with the practice. He explicitly states that it's worth considering an extra pair of suit pants. You can infer from that advice how often to dry-clean odd trousers.
    He owns a dry cleaning business. What do you expect him to say?

3. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

i dont even wait till they look or smell dirty.
    just like my tshirts or jeans that touch directly at my skin (especially during warmer days) i have them washed all the time just because perspiration and sloughing of skin cells and dust in the air accumulates and i like to look and smell clean, because i dont use any cologne to cover any smells up.

same with odd trousers, since the trousers directly touch my leg skin and i am working and warm day and perspiring (meaning not noticeable perspiration, you can still perspire over course of a day, lose water and oils you just dont notice) that all accumulates and if i wear trousers that just became noticeably dirty or smelly , that means ive been wearing them on the verge of dirtiness.
    i usually judge after a 6-7 wearings of a dress trouser i would go ahead and send them to the cleaners.
    less frequent during the fall and winter seasons.

4. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

I air out my clothes and spot clean them as necessary. Also, I steam when needed. I have found dry cleaning to be very harsh and I try to avoid it.

5. pkincy

pkincy Senior member

I religiously steam my slacks immediately after every wearing. I have both a Rowenta commercial hand steamer and the Whirlpool cabinet steamer.

With that care and my rotation (50 pair of odd slacks that are seldom worn), my slacks may never need cleaning unless I spill something on them.

Perry

6. Luc-Emmanuel

Luc-Emmanuel Senior member

I NEVER wash my nudie jeans. Wait... wrong forum, sorry.

!luc

7. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

When you take a suit to be cleaned, don't assume that the jacket will be drycleaned.

Boorstein mostly skirts the issue of fading, although he admits it happens. Black is the color most prone to fading, but (let's not start a debate) black shouldn't be worn regularly for typical business. The likelihood of fading is affected by the method of drycleaning. Very likely most suits would wear out in other ways before jacket-pants color differences become obvious.