• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How often do you dry clean your garmet?

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How often do you dry clean your suits? I know most of people do once a season, but recommanded once a year.

If you find your suit is clean even after year of wear, would you still do dry clean just for hell of it?

fareau

Reaction score
If the suit looks and smells clean, I wouldn't get it dry-cleaned. I always think of the chemicals diminishing the ultimate longevity of the suit and so try to avoid dry-cleaning where possible.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would not dry clean "just for the hell of it." Either once every six months or once a year should be fine. I have heard tailors, however, recommend that you just steam clean your suit, and save dry cleaning for times when your suit is actually stained. This seems like wise advice.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would not dry clean "just for the hell of it."  Either once every six months or once a year should be fine.  I have heard tailors, however, recommend that you just steam clean your suit, and save dry cleaning for times when your suit is actually stained.  This seems like wise advice.

Do they recommend "steaming" the suit or "steam cleaning" the suit?  My only knowledge of steam cleaning involves high-pressure hot water and is better suited to removing congealed motor oil from engine parts than maintaining tailored clothing.  I do steam my clothes once per wearing to remove the wrinkles, but I'm not sure how much of a cleaning effect that has.

dan

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And speaking of dry cleaning, next time I need to dry clean any of my clothing, I intend to try one of the carbon dioxide dry cleaners. It's supposed to be much easier on one's clothes. I'll try some of my lower-quality clothing first, but I can't imagine that CO2 results could be any worse than perchloroethylene.

dan

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
dah,

Steam-cleaning and steaming are totally different.  I can't imagine one would want to wear a suit after it has been pressure washed.

I'm sure you've seen a steamer (most retail clothing stores have one, and many people own them as well).  Basically, there's a small unit that sits on the ground, and is composed of a water tank and a heater.  There is a long, flexible hose which is connected to a 'nozzle'.  Water is heated up in the bottom, and the steam flows through the hose.  The steam will remove wrinkles and help 'lift' the fibers of the fabric on suits.  I believe it also helps to give life to the roll of the lapel.  You can pick them up for around $70 on ebay, I want to purchase one soon.

My question to those who own them: does steaming a garment remove any odors at all?

**edit** nevermind, I didn't finish reading the rest of your post.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My question to those who own them: does steaming a garment remove any odors at all?

On the occasions when I've been stuck in a place that allows smoking, I've found that steaming the offending article will remove some of the smoke smell.  It doesn't remove it all, though.  I can't really comment on other odors.  I haven't had a steamer long enough to try it on other stuff.

dan

DandySF

Reaction score
You'll keep your suits clean and fresh if you just air them out and give them a good brushing before returning to the closet. Dry cleaning is the quickest way to age a suit.

Dan G

Reaction score
What type of brush is appropriate for a suit? Where can I get one and what should I expect to pay? Thanks

DandySF

Reaction score
Brushes are readily available at stores like Bed Bath and Beyond. Â I suspect they'd be about $20. Â Or, you can get a nice one from a company like Kent: Â Link to Kent Brushes

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want to get steamer as well. Pressing/ironing is hard on wool.

To get rid of smell (cigarettes etc..) I heard that turn the suit inside out and air the suit will accelerate removing smell.

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i concur with dry cleaning as little as possible
once a season is good or only when it actually gets stained

airing your suit out on a valet after each wearing will actually elimate a lot of odours/smells .... i've been to some very smokefilled events and i've merely let my suit hang on a valet for a few days and that alone has elimated the smells - i fail to see how turning it inside out will help as you've then put the wool on the inside and are essentially airing out the lining

i also steam but i find it's moreso for the elimination of wrinkles that don't fall out from hanging on the valet - i suppose it does eliminate some of the smell as well but i never thought of it that way

a brushing usually just gets rid of any lint, dust, stray hairs ... that sort of thing but does freshen

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How often do you dry clean your suits?  I know most of people do once a season, but recommanded once a year.

If you find your suit is clean even after year of wear, would you still do dry clean just for hell of it?
I've never dry cleaned any of my really good suits--simply too paranoid.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How often do you dry clean your suits? I know most of people do once a season, but recommanded once a year. If you find your suit is clean even after year of wear, would you still do dry clean just for hell of it?
I've never dry cleaned any of my really good suits--simply too paranoid.
What's wrong with a little healthy paranoia? My insanity makes me the man I am.
tounge.gif
Jon.

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Then .. in what occasion do you folks wear g$$d suits?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads