1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

How often do you dry clean your garmet?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by MilanoStyle, May 4, 2004.

1. Classic

Classic Senior member

Picked up 2 suits at the cleaners today. One was dry-cleaned while the other was steamed.
    Certainly if the suit requires to be cleaned, then get it cleaned. However in the majority of times, the simple task of letting the suit properly air out after it has been worn, before placing it in the closet will go a long way to extending the life of the suits.
    Even the proprietor of the location where I get my suits cleaned has told me to resist dry-cleaning my suits unless necessary.

Classic

2. kabert

kabert Senior member

Your cleaner will steam suits for you? Interesting -- I'll have to ask mine if he does anything with suits other than dry clean them.

3. MikeF

MikeF Senior member

I have my cleaner "press-only" (i.e. steam) my suits all the time.

4. kabert

kabert Senior member

Hey, Mike -- thanks for that insight. I never would have thought of asking my cleaners only to press an article of clothing. Sometimes I just take my dress slacks to the cleaners, and ask for dry cleaning, because they are somewhat wrinkled and have lost most of their crease after several "wears." No wonder that Zegna suit I recently turned over to the thrift shop was developing a sheen....

5. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Senior member

Whoa. Hold up. Steaming is VERY different from pressing.

Pressing involves direct contact from the hot surface of an iron, which (if done improperly at too high a heat or for too long a time) can dagamage fabric.

Steaming is much safer and just involves hanging a garment upright, very gently pulling the fabric, and applying steam from a nozzle, with the net effect of loosening the fabric and returning the garment to a proper shape.

Big difference. Note--most dry cleaners do not know how to properly press a garment. From time to time (maybe once a year, or before some special event), I'll bring my bespoke suits back to my tailor and ask him to give them a proper pressing, which he does free of charge. After they've been properly pressed, they literally look brand new, even though they may actually be 5+ years old.

Montecristo#4

6. Classic

Classic Senior member

Hence why when you find a great cleaner, you stay with them, even if it means having to pay more than at most other places.
    Remember, sometimes it is better to pay a little more now, than a whole lot later.

Classic

7. MikeF

MikeF Senior member

It's true: pressing is not the same as steaming.

For pressing, I take my suits to one of the most expensive drycleaners in town. They charge a lot (at least $13 or so to press a two-piece), but do a nice job. I also used to have them take care of rare dry cleaning needs, but I've now discovered a place that uses CO2 instead of traditional perc (i.e. toxic chemicals). This is good not only for the environment, but also for me, as I don't think dousing ones clothes in carcinogens is the best way to go. Unfortunately, the CO2 place seems to do an average - at best - job of pressing. This provides yet another reason to avoid dry cleaning...

8. Mild Mannered

Mild Mannered Senior member