• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How often do you clean out your wardrobe?

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
OK - For those of us in the States, we're heading into the Memorial Day (3-day) Weekend and I've decided that in addition to the items on my honey-do list (repaint and renovate the bathroom, clean out the storage area, etc.) that this would be a good opportunity to really clean out my wardrobe. Dress shirts, suits, ties, shoes that I no longer wear or fit are headed to my local consignment shop where, hopefully, I get enough credit to buy something different. T-shirts, sweat shirts, shorts, jeans and worn out khakis along with other junk that I've accumulated will be donated to Goodwill. And this time, I'm going to be ruthless. No more hanging on to free t-shirts or sweatshirts from events where I had a good time several years ago (walk-a-thons, bowl-a-thons, etc.) I also can't believe how many old pairs of socks I have Â
biggrin.gif
So, I was curious, how often do the rest of you do a major, or minor housecleaning on your wardrobe?

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How about an option for "After significantly raising my sartorial standards as a direct result of reading StyleForum posts, I'm pruning my wardrobe down to those rare items that may still be considered acceptable."

The next question should be about funding the subsequent wardrobe rebuilding.

dan

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
About once a year, my wife tells me Value Village is making a clothing pickup in our neighborhood, usually in late fall towards Christmastime. Generally, only then do I parse through my clothes to see what can be weeded out and donated. Other than occasionally passing clothes or shoes down to my brother, who's still cash poor due to repaying law school loans, the only time I seem to get rid of clothes is through this charitable donation method.

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'm one of those weekly people
i can't stand clutter
i can't stand having things around that i don't use or want anymore

Classic

Reaction score
Twice a year. This is a family thing initiated by my wife.
Clothes are generally donated to charities, or are given to relatives who have made requests.
Mostly it is the kids' clothes, as I have a habit of generally keeping all my shirts, suits, shoes and ties until there is little life left in them. I do however let go of the sweaters, polo tops and t-shirts.

Classic

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Since I can sell most everything I own for a considerable (by my admittedly cash poor standards) profit, my wardrobe is subject to a continuous and ruthless edit. Only the absolutely perfect items survive long term...

HRHAndrew

Reaction score
My wife and I are usually pretty generous with the clothing donations when we switch the closets around for the seasons. Only generous to a point, as I deduct the donations on my taxes.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
No more hanging on to free t-shirts or sweatshirts from events where I had a good time several years ago (walk-a-thons, bowl-a-thons, etc.)
But...but then what would I wear?.
confused.gif

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm with A Harris on this one.

I'm right in the middle of a major wardrobe renovation. I've got about 60 items (shirts, pants, shorts, jeans) sitting on my floor right now awaiting removal. I hang on to a few things like old jeans, shorts, and t-shirts just for doing yardwork outside. I'm going to sell the 'better' labels on ebay to make some money for new stuff, and I'll donate items that won't sell as well.

I have a new policy for my ward robe. Every time I purchase a new article of clothing, I have to sell a similar (i.e. buy a new dress shirt, sell an old dress shirt, buy a pair of jeans, sell a pair of jeans). I am at the point in closet (even after weeding out all the things to get rid of) that I have more clothes than I really need at this point. There are some guidelines to this policy, though:

1) If I buy a new shirt, I must sell the old one on Ebay at approximately the same price or at a price higher than the new one cost.

2) If rule 1 is not met, I must sell a second item of the same category to make up for the difference.

Since I usually am able to purchase clothing at a substantial discount, I can often buy something new in a store, wear it a few times, and sell it on Ebay and either break even or make a slight profit. Sometimes I'll make quite a large profit, it depends all on the price.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i love getting rid of things i don't need or use. it's one of life's simple pleasures.

unfortunatley i over do it sometimes and toss out paper work, reciepts, documents, and such that i wind up needing later on.

i've torn up just about every poem or story i've written, lost all my old tapes from when i wrote songs, etc...

i once heard that ghandi could fit all of his belongings in a shoe box. i don't know if that's true (i think he owned a house and a bed) but hearing that has influenced me. whenever i buy something, i try to get the smallest/lightest version of that thing.

General Koskov

Reaction score
I think the idea behind Ghandi's shoebox-sized possession collection was that many, rather than large, possessions were a bad thing.

This would at first seem to be contrary to what we on this board practice because this forum is devoted to what else but possessions. However, going by what seems to be the general feeling on this forum of 'quality first' and 'classic style' prevailing, we end up being relatively unmaterialistic compared with the person who has no value for clothes and buys many cheap things.

shqiptar

Reaction score
| I've been upgrading my wardrobe continously and I'm horrified at what I used to wear. In the last two years my consiousness about clothes has raised to an unprecedented level and I'm still working on finding the right clothes for my body type. These days, it takes less time to find out the good stuff at the stores, ask a few questions and go. Lately, I haven't thrown anything out. I think I have reached a certain level of contentment. Becoming a clothes maniac isn't very healthy, so I restrict myself in the best way. I'm glad I found this forum, because it proves I'm not the only one with so many dilemmas about the right clothes. Â
smile.gif

stache

Reaction score
I do a combination of the buy something/ remove something school of thought and the occasional 'blitz'.

truthhurts

Reaction score
I just wake up in the morning and realise that something isn't fashionable or doesn't look good anymore and get rid of it.

gregory

Reaction score
How many of us here would get tired and bored of our clothes after a while? I find that the only things that I don't get tired of are basic solids (like a light blue shirt, or pair of navy slacks). I seem to get tired of my other purchases rather easily, and I was wondering if I'm the only person feeling this way .... because once I get tired of something I feel the temptation to throw it away, eventhough I know my actions don't make sense
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics