• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How Often Do You Buy New Clothing?

How Often Do You Buy New Clothing?

• 1-5 times a year

• 6-10 times a year

• Once a month

• 2-3 times a month

• Weekly

• Almost daily

Results are only viewable after voting.

Styleforum Ari

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
IMG_3657.JPG

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I put once a month, which is what it averages to over time. Basically, I buy something for various reasons. I want it. I need it. The sale/deal is too good to pass. I, however, don't have any type of system or schedule.

Simon Chambers

Reaction score
Nice job on the weight loss, bro. Nice job also on the mindset moving forward.

Thank you! Working in global justice and climate justice, the mindset is really the only way to go. And the weight loss is diet and exercise over 2 years. But I'm definitely proud of my progress!

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why is that man wearing a purse while carrying three shopping bags and checking his phone? This is entirely too busy of a picture.
Because he is a fashionista douchebag.

There was a time when a gentleman would carry nothing more than his attache case
and/or a cane. Packages and the like would be delivered or carried by his "man".
When I lived in Ecuador in the 60s this was still the rule of the very upper class and
women would take their maid along when they shopped.

Mirage-

Reaction score

There was a time when a gentleman would carry nothing more than his attache case
and/or a cane. Packages and the like would be delivered or carried by his "man".
When I lived in Ecuador in the 60s this was still the rule of the very upper class and
So being stylish would require having someone else carry things for you?
That seems a very stupid way to equate style with money, and in fact the display of money even, which is much worse.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Right now I'm buying a lot of clothes, but that's because I lost 60 pounds and have to replace my whole wardrobe. My goal is to buy quality and not have to constantly replace things! :)

First congrats on losing the weight.

Second - To answer the question. I'm on the other end where I gained a little muscle so my clothes don't fit me anymore.

But I WFH and I'm going through a (probably a phase) where I will only purchase on the basis of necessity. So my answer would be most likely 6 to 10 times.

My journey is not minimalism which I think can be boring. But if is it not needed, why purchase it? I have a peacoat I've worn about 4 times that is now too small and two suits that are too small.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Why is that man wearing a purse while carrying three shopping bags and checking his phone? This is entirely too busy of a picture.

Excuse me. It's a satchel!

Simon Chambers

Reaction score
First congrats on losing the weight.

Second - To answer the question. I'm on the other end where I gained a little muscle so my clothes don't fit me anymore.

But I WFH and I'm going through a (probably a phase) where I will only purchase on the basis of necessity. So my answer would be most likely 6 to 10 times.

My journey is not minimalism which I think can be boring. But if is it not needed, why purchase it? I have a peacoat I've worn about 4 times that is now too small and two suits that are too small.

Congratulations on your own fitness journey!

I'm also WFH mostly, but I still dress for work, particularly when I have high level meetings. While I agree that minimalism can be boring, I am trying to not just buy for the sake of buying. And when I travel as much as I do, a capsule wardrobe that is easily interchangeable makes a lot of sense! I'm packing for 16 days in Europe working a global conference, and want to make sure that I can put together outfits very easily every day.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congratulations on your own fitness journey!

I'm also WFH mostly, but I still dress for work, particularly when I have high level meetings. While I agree that minimalism can be boring, I am trying to not just buy for the sake of buying. And when I travel as much as I do, a capsule wardrobe that is easily interchangeable makes a lot of sense! I'm packing for 16 days in Europe working a global conference, and want to make sure that I can put together outfits very easily every day.

Ah yes, context is very important here. Since you travel for work, that would make sense to purchase stuff and you have to look the part.

I work in tech and the company I work for is very casual. You can wear jeans and sneakers but I haven't gone into the office yet. I am meeting my workmates for the first time in person tomorrow. Apart from that, I don't travel for work.

Buying new clothes is fun though!

Simon Chambers

Reaction score
Ah yes, context is very important here. Since you travel for work, that would make sense to purchase stuff and you have to look the part.

I work in tech and the company I work for is very casual. You can wear jeans and sneakers but I haven't gone into the office yet. I am meeting my workmates for the first time in person tomorrow. Apart from that, I don't travel for work.

Buying new clothes is fun though!

I serve as director of communications for a global humanitarian agency, so I need a wardrobe that can take me from Board meetings to Ukraine refugee camps (which was my last trip to Europe), or UN events (which will be my last trip of the year), so I tend to go a bit more formal, although for work in humanitarian situations I need practical, survivable clothes too!

Tech is definitely casual- good luck meeting the new workmates. And buying new clothes is fun, but I can have fun in other ways too that are cheaper and better for the environment. So I don't buy clothes *just* because it's fun ;)

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score

Seems like based on this, this guy is not necessarily (just) a fashionista douchebag but might simply be some rich man's "man," as you describe. Don't rag on a man while he's simply doing his job! The underclass is allowed to be handsome and well-dressed too. The little manpurse is probably handy for carrying the lady of the manor's rotation of blood diamonds. He's probably on the phone trafficking humans for his employer. All in a day's work. #justrulingclassthings

To answer the original question, if you don't have a continuous stream of OTR items in the mail or MTM / bespoke things in the works, do you even Styleforum?

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seems like based on this, this guy is not necessarily (just) a fashionista douchebag but might simply be some rich man's "man," as you describe. Don't rag on a man while he's simply doing his job! The underclass is allowed to be handsome and well-dressed too. The little manpurse is probably handy for carrying the lady of the manor's rotation of blood diamonds. He's probably on the phone trafficking humans for his employer. All in a day's work. #justrulingclassthings

To answer the original question, if you don't have a continuous stream of OTR items in the mail or MTM / bespoke things in the works, do you even Styleforum?

#Justrulingclassthings is exactly the hashtag we need to popularize.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads