• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How NOT to practice law.

Stax

Reaction score
View this one first:

Then:

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I watched that the other day and thought it was pretty hilarious. I'm surprised that the judge was that nice to him actually. I know a lot of judges that would have tore him a new one.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Yeah, what was that guy thinking? Never agree to let them use the breathalyzer on you!

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
Yeah, what was that guy thinking? Never agree to let them use the breathalyzer on you!

How about never show up to court drunk. What a loser, he needs help...

lawyerdad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stazy
How about never show up to court drunk.
I suppose that's another approach . . .

lawyerdad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
I watched that the other day and thought it was pretty hilarious. I'm surprised that the judge was that nice to him actually. I know a lot of judges that would have tore him a new one.
True, but she may in fact have been killing him with kindness. As she noted in her comments, the judge made a pretty thorough record that undoubtedly will be devastating in the eventual disciplinary proceedings. A judge who was quick to tear him a new one might, in fact, have ended up short-circuiting that process and/or gotten less cooperation from this doofus in sealing his own fate. Without doubting the sincerity of the judge's comments about wanting to help him, I think that it probably would have been more helpful to him to just tell him she was going to continue the trial or declare a mistrial or whatever and tell him to shut up. Letting him entangle himself further in lies and convincing him to take a breathalyzer test, however pleasantly and calmly she did it, is actually pretty devastating. (Which is to say, I admire how deftly she fed him the rope with which he hung himself.)

Nonk

Reaction score
US Law query.

What authority did the Police Officer have to administer the PBT?

Was it for his admission of driving?

lawyerdad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nonk
US Law query.

What authority did the Police Officer have to administer the PBT?

Was it for his admission of driving?

Off the top of my head, I'd say that might be a bit of a sticky wicket. A police officer can always administer such a test to someone who consents to it. But the judge ordered Dipshit, Esq. to take the test, so it's not really a question of the officer's authority so much as the judge's. If there were an attempt to prosecute the lawyer, that could raise not only 5th Amendment issues but possibly separation of powers issues. But I suspect she was more concerned about making a record to support her finding of a mistrial and/or an order removing the attorney from the case, and perhaps for use in a disbarment or disciplinary proceeding, than with gathering admissible evidence for a possible criminal case.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman
Not as bad as showing up drunk in a criminal case, but - this is a good example of how NOT to prepare a witness/defend a deposition.

http://www.abovethelaw.com/2006/09/a...deposition.php

That was friggin hilarious. I'm still cracking up.
crackup[1].gif

Master Shake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
True, but she may in fact have been killing him with kindness. As she noted in her comments, the judge made a pretty thorough record that undoubtedly will be devastating in the eventual disciplinary proceedings. A judge who was quick to tear him a new one might, in fact, have ended up short-circuiting that process and/or gotten less cooperation from this doofus in sealing his own fate. Without doubting the sincerity of the judge's comments about wanting to help him, I think that it probably would have been more helpful to him to just tell him she was going to continue the trial or declare a mistrial or whatever and tell him to shut up. Letting him entangle himself further in lies and convincing him to take a breathalyzer test, however pleasantly and calmly she did it, is actually pretty devastating. (Which is to say, I admire how deftly she fed him the rope with which he hung himself.)
Good point. This guy clearly needs help, however, and he is doing his clients no good by showing up drunk. Of course, his behavior demonstrates a disregard for his clients' rights to effective assistance of counsel and cannot be tolerated by any judge. If I were the judge, I'm not sure I would have stretched it out as much as this one did, or make him take the breathalyzer, but I would have enquired about it and then reported him to the character committee.

Also, what the hell does it mean to be philosophically opposed to dialing 911?

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master Shake
Good point. This guy clearly needs help, however, and he is doing his clients no good by showing up drunk. Of course, his behavior demonstrates a disregard for his clients' rights to effective assistance of counsel and cannot be tolerated by any judge. If I were the judge, I'm not sure I would have stretched it out as much as this one did, or make him take the breathalyzer, but I would have enquired about it and then reported him to the character committee.

Also, what the hell does it mean to be philosophically opposed to dialing 911?

Well, if you were drunk and late to court and completely unprepared for a kidnapping case in which your client could get life, wouldn't you be philosophically opposed to dialing 911?

Jon.

Stax

Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Well, if you were drunk and late to court and completely unprepared for a kidnapping case in which your client could get life, wouldn't you be philosophically opposed to dialing 911?

Jon.

yeah, but he's tried 67 cases.
crackup[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads