1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

How NOT to practice law.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Stax, Sep 20, 2006.

1. Stax

Stax Senior member

View this one first:

Then:

2. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

I watched that the other day and thought it was pretty hilarious. I'm surprised that the judge was that nice to him actually. I know a lot of judges that would have tore him a new one.

3. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Yeah, what was that guy thinking? Never agree to let them use the breathalyzer on you!

4. Stazy

Stazy Senior member

Yeah, what was that guy thinking? Never agree to let them use the breathalyzer on you!

How about never show up to court drunk. What a loser, he needs help...

5. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

How about never show up to court drunk.
    I suppose that's another approach . . .

6. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

I watched that the other day and thought it was pretty hilarious. I'm surprised that the judge was that nice to him actually. I know a lot of judges that would have tore him a new one.
    True, but she may in fact have been killing him with kindness. As she noted in her comments, the judge made a pretty thorough record that undoubtedly will be devastating in the eventual disciplinary proceedings. A judge who was quick to tear him a new one might, in fact, have ended up short-circuiting that process and/or gotten less cooperation from this doofus in sealing his own fate. Without doubting the sincerity of the judge's comments about wanting to help him, I think that it probably would have been more helpful to him to just tell him she was going to continue the trial or declare a mistrial or whatever and tell him to shut up. Letting him entangle himself further in lies and convincing him to take a breathalyzer test, however pleasantly and calmly she did it, is actually pretty devastating. (Which is to say, I admire how deftly she fed him the rope with which he hung himself.)

7. Nonk

Nonk Senior member

US Law query.

What authority did the Police Officer have to administer the PBT?

Was it for his admission of driving?

8. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

US Law query.

What authority did the Police Officer have to administer the PBT?

Was it for his admission of driving?

Off the top of my head, I'd say that might be a bit of a sticky wicket. A police officer can always administer such a test to someone who consents to it. But the judge ordered Dipshit, Esq. to take the test, so it's not really a question of the officer's authority so much as the judge's. If there were an attempt to prosecute the lawyer, that could raise not only 5th Amendment issues but possibly separation of powers issues. But I suspect she was more concerned about making a record to support her finding of a mistrial and/or an order removing the attorney from the case, and perhaps for use in a disbarment or disciplinary proceeding, than with gathering admissible evidence for a possible criminal case.

9. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Senior member

10. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

Not as bad as showing up drunk in a criminal case, but - this is a good example of how NOT to prepare a witness/defend a deposition.

http://www.abovethelaw.com/2006/09/a...deposition.php

That was friggin hilarious. I'm still cracking up. [​IMG]

11. Stax

Stax Senior member

Not as bad as showing up drunk in a criminal case, but - this is a good example of how NOT to prepare a witness/defend a deposition.

http://www.abovethelaw.com/2006/09/a...deposition.php

"what's your question?" [​IMG]

12. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Oh, what a web we weave.

Jon.

13. Master Shake

Master Shake Senior member

True, but she may in fact have been killing him with kindness. As she noted in her comments, the judge made a pretty thorough record that undoubtedly will be devastating in the eventual disciplinary proceedings. A judge who was quick to tear him a new one might, in fact, have ended up short-circuiting that process and/or gotten less cooperation from this doofus in sealing his own fate. Without doubting the sincerity of the judge's comments about wanting to help him, I think that it probably would have been more helpful to him to just tell him she was going to continue the trial or declare a mistrial or whatever and tell him to shut up. Letting him entangle himself further in lies and convincing him to take a breathalyzer test, however pleasantly and calmly she did it, is actually pretty devastating. (Which is to say, I admire how deftly she fed him the rope with which he hung himself.)
    Good point. This guy clearly needs help, however, and he is doing his clients no good by showing up drunk. Of course, his behavior demonstrates a disregard for his clients' rights to effective assistance of counsel and cannot be tolerated by any judge. If I were the judge, I'm not sure I would have stretched it out as much as this one did, or make him take the breathalyzer, but I would have enquired about it and then reported him to the character committee.

Also, what the hell does it mean to be philosophically opposed to dialing 911?

14. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Good point. This guy clearly needs help, however, and he is doing his clients no good by showing up drunk. Of course, his behavior demonstrates a disregard for his clients' rights to effective assistance of counsel and cannot be tolerated by any judge. If I were the judge, I'm not sure I would have stretched it out as much as this one did, or make him take the breathalyzer, but I would have enquired about it and then reported him to the character committee.

Well, if you were drunk and late to court and completely unprepared for a kidnapping case in which your client could get life, wouldn't you be philosophically opposed to dialing 911?

Jon.

15. Stax

Stax Senior member

Well, if you were drunk and late to court and completely unprepared for a kidnapping case in which your client could get life, wouldn't you be philosophically opposed to dialing 911?

Jon.

yeah, but he's tried 67 cases. [​IMG]

16. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

I love how he sticks with that even after it's clear to everyone what exactly happened.

17. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

yeah, but he's tried 67 cases. [​IMG]

Plus he just lost his grandmother and his brother in 99'... [​IMG]

Jon.

18. Violinist

Violinist Senior member

Did he lose his license over this?

19. Stax

Stax Senior member

Did he lose his license over this?

it just happened last month. i suspect that he has not yet faced disciplinary proceedings.

20. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

Anyone else think the judge sounds like Cheryl Hines from Curb Your Enthusiasm?