• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How Not to Look Like a Banker

The Snob

Reaction score
Any Brits here?

"Staff in the City are being advised to dress down and postpone non-essential meetings amid fears that they will be forced to run the gauntlet of protesters. Thousands of G20 Meltdown campaign posters show a mannequin wearing a suit being hanged, while an anarchist website has the slogan: 'Burn a banker!'"

With that... there is now: http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2009/mar/27/fashion-mens-fashion
(How Not to Look Like a Banker)

hah

(I'd post this in current events but I iz a junior member who can't access that forum yet--doh)

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Dress like a banker, carry a pair of brass knuckles in your pocket and knock out the first whack job that gives you a hard time.

edit - another option (especially if sorrounded by multiple whack jobs) is to carry a can of bear pepper spray with you.

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't wear banker shoes - time to leave the AEs at home and git yerself some florsheims.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We had a big dump of snow a while back and a friend of mine got snowballed by a large mob on his way into work, by the lunch break there was a pitched snow ball fight between the junior bankers and the crowd.
This seems a little more serious.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^

That actually sounds kind of fun. I can't remember the last time i was in a snowball fight

Aperipan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robertorex
Don't wear banker shoes - time to leave the AEs at home and git yerself some florsheims.

Why AE considered bankers' shoes? I'm rather fond of the brand.

nathan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aperipan
Why AE considered bankers' shoes? I'm rather fond of the brand.

Black AE Park Avenue's are a staple item in the banker's uniform.

Aperipan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nathan

Thanks. I didn't know that.

TylerDurden

Reaction score
Harley davidson t-shirt with the selves cut off and a pair of to large baggy wal-mart jeans. No one would even suspect.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fitting a pudgy 50 year old banker into the skinny hipsterish outfit in the center pic would be a very painful bit of impersonation.

The Snob

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mack11211
Fitting a pudgy 50 year old banker into the skinny hipsterish outfit in the center pic would be a very painful bit of impersonation.

lmao. see i was thinking of my younger friends and former colleagues, but youre absolutely right. now that i'm thinking of the older set... that. is. freaking. hilarious.

The Snob

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nathan

hehe yeup. even my former colleague with absolutely no sense of style would just go on and on about how much he loved his AEs.

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
They say there is safety in numbers. Personally, I like the notion of tooled up pin-striped bankers taking on the mob and winning through! Especially if you put in a few well dressed ringers (Lock, Stock... Guy Ritchie types)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads