HOW MUCH?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by ernest, Feb 22, 2005.

1. ernest

ernest Senior member

(ernest @ Feb. 22 2005,17:56)
    Whose watch is that? Â I'm lost. My watch is a simple (but not TOO cheap) gold and SS Seiko. Â It has served me quite well. Â The idea of spending money on a Cartier or Rolex seems silly to me. Â I could invest the savings, and in 2-3 years have enough return to buy 2 or 3 Rolex's, although I would rather reinvest that money. Â It reminds me of one of my father's favorite sayings, "Don't spend money on anything that's not going to make you money." Â You could say a nice suit is extravagant, but I don't think so - it's more of an investment. Â It is important to have quality suits if you would like to have a good job. Â My car is a different story. Â Heh heh. Â But spending more than 400 USD on a watch seems ludicrous to me. Â I have a clock on my cell phone, after all. Â Again, it just comes down to personal tastes I guess.
    The only silly things are your arguments = 1) Prices of the best watch companies go up of 10% every years. If you are able to invest $5000 and make more than 10% of interest and to buy a watch with this income = you must be VERY RICH and so saving $ 10 000 on a watch = beeing a penny pincher 2) The watch is as important as the suit. Everybody wears a suit and most of people don't care about your clothes in details. People who would look at your suit would also look at your watch. 3) Thinking that a $400 Seiko is enough = like thinking that a $400 Zara suit is a very nice one and not worse than a Brioni as in both case you have a jacket+pants.
    1) Seikos will always be about $200 - $400. Â I am somewhat of a penny-pincher. Â I regularly see greater than 10% returns on my investments, particularly with my high-risk investments which is where I put savings like that (my automated forex engines are returning 84% per month average since October 2004, although this rate would decrease exponentially were you to increase the value of the account to greater than $50k). 2) It is? Â If people don't care about the details of my clothes, why would they care about the details of my watch? Â You'd have to roll up my sleeve and really look at my watch to know that it wasn't a Cartier or Rolex. Â And I like my Seiko. Â It is functional. Â It is not too flashy. Â It will not get me killed during a mugging. Â And best of all, it is simple. Â I can't stand chrono watches, and I do not want the date on my watch, either. Â Just the time, thank you. Â I don't have all day to be staring at my diamond-encrusted wristwatch, I just need to know what time it is. Â 3) I buy my suits on sale or on ebay. Â If I can find a Brioni for $500-$600, I will wear a Brioni. Â If I see a nice Zegna, or that Brooks Bro's suit I just bought, for a reasonable price around this range, I will pick one up. Â The only people who will notice the difference between a Kiton and a decent Zegna are people who are obsessed with fasion labels, and the person wearing the suit. Â Frankly, I just want a suit that is going to look sharp at a meeting and fit well and be comfortable. Â "Nice" becomes very subjective at a certain point.
    1) Be serious. When you look at how much you make money with an investement it must be much longer than 5 months and you must take in account the risky. Your account can lose 80% in the next 6 months. It is completely random walk. So you can not say you make 10% per year as if it was granted 2) Stop with Rolex and Cartier. They are far away to be the best brands. Who was talking about chrono or diamond? You can have a very simple watch for 5000 euros. People who notice your shirt or suit (you told that the suit was important in your professional life) will look at your watch too. 3) I was talking about ZARA (not ZEGNA) You can also picked up second hand watches with a good discount.

2. ernest

ernest Senior member

I have nothing against Seiko, I am wearing one at the moment.

I just say that a watch is not lost money as you seem to think.

It is even more logical to buy an expensive watch than an expensive suit.

The watch =
    - keeps always its value
    - last all your life
    - is a very important detail in a wardrobe (makes all the difference like cufflinks)

The suit =
    - wear it 20 time and it will lost 80% of his value
    - after 2/3/4 years you must buy another one

So if you buy a $500 suit you could use for 3 years, you can buy a $5000 watch you could use for 30 years

3. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

I mentioned the shoes that were $300, and most of them would be more than acceptable to people on this forum (Alden, Bally, Allen Edmonds)

I think most ties with retail prices < $100 are going to be too poor quality for most people here, with the exception of Carlo Franco, and some others (perhaps Ben Silver) I think T&A ties are > $100 now...

4. alchimiste

alchimiste Senior member

About Bally: what is their "normal" retail price? I saw some last night at S$1400 (i.e. US$850).

5. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

It depends, some models $295, some $395, others are more... but you can get very nice shoes for $300 US at retail, and they have 50% off 3-4 times a year.

6. ernest

ernest Senior member

7. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

That was his subjective assessment of what the opinion of the forum participants in general, which is in fact, an opinion: *his*. Either your English is failing you again, or you are not all that bright.

8. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

9. ernest

ernest Senior member

10. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

Ah, Brooks ties are $60 or so. I'm not overly fond of them though.

11. ATM

ATM Senior member

Someone should combine this thread with the "HOW MANY?" thread and calculate the minimum cost of an "acceptable" wardrobe. Â [​IMG]

12. ernest

ernest Senior member

But are they correct enought to be worn?

13. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

"correct" enough to be worn? You could wear more or less any tie and get away with it, even at the highest circles of business, but that's not what we're trying to determine. The question was what was the minimum retail price for sartorially acceptable pieces. I believe it's about $99, others may disagree.

14. Panzeraxe

Panzeraxe Senior member

(linux_pro @ Feb. 22 2005,12:35) Whose watch is that? Â I'm lost. My watch is a simple (but not TOO cheap) gold and SS Seiko. Â It has served me quite well. Â The idea of spending money on a Cartier or Rolex seems silly to me. Â I could invest the savings, and in 2-3 years have enough return to buy 2 or 3 Rolex's, although I would rather reinvest that money. Â It reminds me of one of my father's favorite sayings, "Don't spend money on anything that's not going to make you money." Â You could say a nice suit is extravagant, but I don't think so - it's more of an investment. Â It is important to have quality suits if you would like to have a good job. Â My car is a different story. Â Heh heh. Â But spending more than 400 USD on a watch seems ludicrous to me. Â I have a clock on my cell phone, after all. Â Again, it just comes down to personal tastes I guess.
    Linux, I finally see something I agree with you on. It's amazing. I am with you, I could never spend an absurd amount on a watch, I think $400 is plenty. I might spend $1k on a watch ONCE. Styleman/whatever, you are SUCH a bad liar. Â [​IMG]
    I find the hostility towards fine watches suprising. I fail to see how wearing a nice automatic "prestigious" watch is somehow not akin to dropping $3-$4K on a bespoke suit. I honestly don't think the superior fit helps your career any - 99.9% of the public will never be able to tell the difference in fit between a $1,100 Canali altered to fit you and a bespoke suit from Savile Row (nevermind the fact that the vast majority of the time in an office setting people remove their suit jackets - its very hard to muck up trouser fit regardless of the price). Btw, I love fine watches, and would consider $1,000-$1,200 to be the minimum one should pay for a fine watch - Baume & Mercier, Maurice Lacroix, Oris and Frederique Constant all fall within that price range. Panzer

15. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

Well, spending $1000-2000 on a "fine watch" is different than just a "watch" in general. Like I said, I would probably buy one dress watch around a thousand dollars and stick to under $500 for the rest.