1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

How much would you pay for Oxxford?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr Sola, Sep 17, 2006.

1. Mr Sola

Mr Sola Senior member

I was at the FB in DC yesterday and saw a rack of Oxxford. There was a nice 2 button navy in my size. Price was $900. Did I make a mistake by not buying?

2. thinman

thinman Senior member

If I found an Oxxford Crest (their only model that doesn't look frumpy on me) that fit me, in a fabric I liked, I would pay $900 in a heartbeat. Of course, I also paid much more for a MTM Oxxford Crest because I'm a difficult fit. $900 for an Oxxford suit is a very good price, although Filene's will reportedly discount them to something near $600, if you are patient and willing to risk losing the suit in the interim.

3. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

If in good shape and fairly recent (last 3 years) then $900 is a terrific deal.

4. Lino

Lino Senior member

If in good shape and fairly recent (last 3 years) then $900 is a terrific deal.
    And the fit was good, the cut flattering and the fabric something that I can use, then yes, I'd buy it. Though...I have let a few (three to be exact) go by at about $650 that fit that discription (on ebay).

5. josepidal

josepidal Senior member

I was always curious, however, how you would be willing to pay for a good RTW brand like Oxxford if you use Asian tailors like Chan as a benchmark.

6. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

$2,000. Probably the most I'd pay for any RTW that isn't MTM or bespoke.

7. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

An Oxxford at $900 is a good deal, but not so spectacular as to worry about passing up. If you had found one you really liked, it would certainly be a huge savings off retail. But Oxxfords can be found at that price fairly regularly, and, as Thinman mentioned, often for less. (A solid would be a find at $900, though.)

8. pkincy

pkincy Senior member

The thing that makes me think you should have grabbed it was the "navy".

If a solid navy or navy pinstripe that is mainline than $900 is a smokin deal and you should kick yourself.

In my experience the really mainline staple cuts and colors don't ever hit the deep discounters.

Perry

9. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Senior member

If you were looking for something like that, then you probably should have bought it. However, it's not one of those amazing, buy it just to flip it on ebay prices.

10. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

The thing that makes me think you should have grabbed it was the "navy".

If a solid navy or navy pinstripe that is mainline than $900 is a smokin deal and you should kick yourself.

I'm with you on the navy, but why the navy pinstripe? I've never considered navy pinstripe any more desirable than charcoal pin.

11. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

I would and have paid for Oxxford MTM. It's a great company.

12. yachtie

yachtie Senior member

I couldn't justify to myself paying more for RTW then bespoke or MTM. I'm probably in the $2k or under range for RTW (it'd have to be a perfect cut for that as well)

13. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

If you don't have to have it now, a $500 to $600 price for a new Oxxford will at some point show up.

14. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

I believe that the FB suit sale starts today. Oxxfords should be selling for $800.

15. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

Alas, my FB wouldn't know an Oxxford suit from an oxford cloth. [​IMG]