• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much will banks be looking for salary-wise to afford a 200k home loan?

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Just curious. i'm sort of thinking a year or two ahead, but I'm probably not going to have much to put down, and my credit is on the low side of mediocre.
smile.gif
is there any hope? I want to capitalize on low prices, but realize i'm fighting skittish lenders too. what say ye?

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it would depend on how much money you are able to put into a down payment.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nobody has a crystal ball to know what lending standards will be in a couple years. But if your credit is not good and your assets/net worth are not great either, I wouldn't be surprised to see lenders ask for 20-40% equity in order to get the deal done. In terms of salary, I'd say 60-70k or so for a 200k loan.

All wild guesses
smile.gif

indy116

Reaction score
Poor credit and not much for a down payment may result in them not wanting to write a loan..

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Nobody has a crystal ball to know what lending standards will be in a couple years. But if your credit is not good and your assets/net worth are not great either, I wouldn't be surprised to see lenders ask for 20-40% equity in order to get the deal done. In terms of salary, I'd say 60-70k or so for a 200k loan.

All wild guesses
smile.gif

i'm probably marsupialed, how exactly does equity work in this case? The concept is a little confusing to me. In this case does this mean I'd need a 20-40% downpayment, or would it mean that I'd have to put up that percentage as well as a downpayment?

In the meanwhile, I'll work on tripling my income in the next two years.
frown.gif

Unfortunately, looks like i'm going to have a long period of rental ahead of me.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, by equity I meant down payment. If you have enough assets, a good credit score and good income, down payment could be a lot less than that.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Yes, by equity I meant down payment. If you have enough assets, a good credit score and good income, down payment could be a lot less than that.

I was afraid of that. Thanks for killing my dreams buddy.
smile.gif

Time to start practicing my field goals. Maybe i can make NFL league minimum somewhere so that I can afford to get myself a one bedroom condo in Seattle.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
Maybe i can make NFL league minimum somewhere so that I can afford to get myself a one bedroom condo in Seattle.
You'll probably need to work on your class status too then. Have you seen some of the socialite community bullshit that several of the condo projects are pushing? *cough* escala *cough*

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
You'll probably need to work on your class status too then. Have you seen some of the socialite community bullshit that several of the condo projects are pushing? *cough* escala *cough*

I wasn't really looking for anything fancy. I'm smarter than to buy into anyplace that pushes a "lifestyle". I'm a PC, remember?
smile.gif

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
You can play with the numbers for fine tuning, but here's the basics:

20% down = 40k

So float 160k. Not including property taxes, condo fees, insurances, etc., at 6.5%, over 30 years, you're looking at roughly 1k per month. So add in the other stuff, and you're probably in the area of 1.3-1.6k. Then banks have income/debt ratios they like, which just for ballparking, we can use 1/3. So three times 1.3-1.6k in gross monthly income. So low end, looking at 3.9k gross, per month, or roughly 47k per year.

That is figured off you have exactly $0.00 other debt. Income needs to go up as debt increases, to keep ratios in line. Again, just all ball park put together in two minutes for you.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
You can play with the numbers for fine tuning, but here's the basics: 20% down = 40k So float 160k. Not including property taxes, condo fees, insurances, etc., at 6.5%, over 30 years, you're looking at roughly 1k per month. So add in the other stuff, and you're probably in the area of 1.3-1.6k. Then banks have income/debt ratios they like, which just for ballparking, we can use 1/3. So three times 1.3-1.6k in gross monthly income. So low end, looking at 3.9k gross, per month, or roughly 47k per year. That is figured off you have exactly $0.00 other debt. Income needs to go up as debt increases, to keep ratios in line. Again, just all ball park put together in two minutes for you.
Sweet... so maybe I only need to double my income! + save $40k somehow.
frown.gif
Crap. Perhaps I'll take a second job and start putting all the money into savings. Assuming I have the willpower. That sort of terrifies me though.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sweet... so maybe I only need to double my income! + save $40k somehow.

frown.gif
Crap.

Perhaps I'll take a second job and start putting all the money into savings. Assuming I have the willpower. That sort of terrifies me though.

Maybe you can get a union job.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Maybe you can get a union job.
Or maybe start kissing up to my older relatives/win the lottery/start selling crack

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Or maybe start kissing up to my older relatives.

Or a nicely comfortable older woman?

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Or a nicely comfortable older woman?

Unfortunately, this scenario may have already passed me by. Damn my conscience!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics