• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much wear do you get out of leather soles?

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by withstyle
no I just wipe them with my admin's hair. then she unlaces them for me and slips my freshly polished and gleaming john lobbs onto my feet.

and that moment alone makes the whole thing worth it.

lulz

zing!

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by withstyle
no I just wipe them with my admin's hair. then she unlaces them for me and slips my freshly polished and gleaming john lobbs onto my feet.

and that moment alone makes the whole thing worth it.

You just changed my mind on this topic. See... I'm a pretty open-minded guy

FELT

Reaction score
Pairs of regularly worn dress shoes in M-F rotation: 7
Approx. miles walked on pavement each work day: 1
Approx. body weight: 170
Typical life of leather sole: 3

But the lifespan varies a lot, and doesn't always correlate to perceived quality of shoes. I also wear out the toes much quicker so only need a partial re-sole (have tried taps in the past but don't like the tapping...).

jdldore

Reaction score
Pairs of regularly worn dress shoes in M-F rotation: 13
Approx. miles walked on pavement each work day: 1
Approx. body weight: 200
Typical life of leather sole: 3-4 years

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pairs of regularly worn dress shoes in M-F rotation: 4
Approx. miles walked on pavement each work day: 2
Approx. body weight: 150
Typical life of leather sole: 12 months

2 miles is average, but if I do a couple of visits to other offices and a decent walk at lunch we could be talking ~5 miles. Other days it's virtually nothing.

I've got one pair of Trickers with a Topy sole because the originals wore down really rapidly and it seemed silly to replace them already. Conversely I have a pair of re-soled Church's where the sole is like iron - the uppers are falling to pieces and the sole just won't give in. When I get shoes re-soled I get a metal tap put at the front because that's where I wear the most.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads