• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much wear do you get out of leather soles?

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pairs of regularly worn dress shoes in M-F rotation: 11
Approx. miles walked on pavement each work day: .5
Approx. body weight: 145
Typical life of leather sole: unknown

I noticed extensive wear on the toes of my soles in comparison with the heels and balls of the foot, so I decided to topy my leather-soled shoes ... all of them.

I plan on replacing the topy every 1-2 years depending on wear, but the cobbler said with my rotation and amount of walking, 2 years should be feasible on a single topy.

I'm happy with doing that over and over, esp considering I pay $12.50 per topy, and a total recrafting would cost $75-$100 at any respectable shop or factory.

withstyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by srivats
For me, that is just too much work. Can't imagine wearing one and carrying a shoe everyday to work.

Vibram is a good solution. I'd go have topies installed if there is a good local cobbler where I live now, but sadly, there is none. I don't want to deal with shipping my shoes just for a topy.

I requested Ron to use danite outsoles for the MTO pair I got recently from him. They work well in damp conditions and looking top down it is impossible to say whether they are leather or rubber. I think I will get my alden PTBs resoled with commando soles when the time comes to see how they are.

it's definitely not a perfect solution, but I keep the 8 or so pairs of oxfords that are in my regular work rotation at my office and put up with the occasional hassle of lugging them around when needed for travel or "non-work" occasions. my co-workers will occasionally ask to see my "shoe drawers" (there are two) as they have heard about the practice.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by withstyle
it's definitely not a perfect solution, but I keep the 8 or so pairs of oxfords that are in my regular work rotation at my office and put up with the occasional hassle of lugging them around when needed for travel or "non-work" occasions. my co-workers will occasionally ask to see my "shoe drawers" (there are two) as they have heard about the practice.

mrrogers2008-05-01-1209670797.gif

I can't imagine doing this, although if I move back East, I will probably use an overshoe for wintry/slushy/snowy days ... but even then I'm wearing the shoes from my house to work.

CashmereLover

Reaction score
Originally Posted by brandall10
Not at all, C&J will use the actual last to do a resole. Your cobbler has no such luxury.

Somewhere the SF-approved cobbler Nick V wrote a piece on this saying that it essentially comes down to the skill and attention to detail of the person doing the job, if high enough there should virtually be no difference in fit from a factory recraft.

OK, I guess this means that using the original last is an advantage, but it's not crucial - so a good cobbler is indeed able to rebuild a pair of Good Year welted shoes without the original last.

withstyle

Reaction score
lol8[1].gif

and I use overshoes in addition when I leave my building during work hours on snowy/rainy days

I'm really 100% quirk-free otherwise

Originally Posted by furo
mrrogers2008-05-01-1209670797.gif

I can't imagine doing this, although if I move back East, I will probably use an overshoe for wintry/slushy/snowy days ... but even then I'm wearing the shoes from my house to work.

Leather man

Reaction score
When I had just four pairs of good shoes ( Church's) one was Danite soled, one I wore just once a week and two pairs of double leather soled shoes. I wore the Danite and double leather soled shoes on the other days.

With this in mind and the fact I weigh 210 pounds the soles lasted thus:

1. Danite soled shoes 5 years

2. Double leather soles: 2 years on both pairs

3. Single leather sole once a week - 4.5 years

I do a fair bit of walking to see people or round town.

Nowadays I have a lot of shoes and so don't resole very often.

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You actually keep that many shoes at work !? I don't have the space ... but even if I did, I would not leave my shoes at work. Don't want to let out the crazy
smile.gif
Also, I have way too many shoes.

I only leave a pair of sperrys and a pair of overshoes just in case.

withstyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by srivats
You actually keep that many shoes at work !? I don't have the space ... but even if I did, I would not leave my shoes at work. Don't want to let out the crazy
smile.gif
Also, I have way too many shoes.

I only leave a pair of sperrys and a pair of overshoes just in case.

I do - at least while my shoe collection is still manageable enough to allow it. will likely be adding one more pair to the rotation once our little "transaction" is completed [for others, srivats is likely selling me some shoes]

where else can I wear all of my nice oxfords on a daily basis? I actually used to keep more here until I recently decided to take all of my loafers home and that they are no longer formal enough for work-wear (by my own ever-evolving taste standards)

and I keep a pair of overshoes here and at home, just in case.

while we're on the topic, I upgraded my commuter-shoes this morning on STP - got some allen edmonds day trippers in both black and brown for a steal. those puppies should be able to take a pounding to and from the office.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm confused. What's the point of looking awful at any point when one is actually walking outside and not in the office? I don't get commuter shoes at all, especially for an SFer who I would assume cares about how he looks. It's all very "Working Girl" to me - the bad memories of the 1980s with office workers in suits and white sneakers. As if wearing nice shoes was perceived as an obligation that comes with an office job rather than a pleasure.

stock-photo-business-woman-getting-out-of-car-as-she-arrives-at-work-421864.jpg

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I'm confused. What's the point of looking awful at any point when one is actually walking outside and not in the office? I don't get commuter shoes at all, especially for an SFer who I would assume cares about how he looks. It's all very "Working Girl" to me - the bad memories of the 1980s with office workers in suits and white sneakers. As if wearing nice shoes was perceived as an obligation that comes with an office job rather than a pleasure.

+1

Although a woman walking 1+ miles in 5" Louboutins I can understand

withstyle

Reaction score

trust me I've gone back and forth on it, and still do... but on the days I take the train I just can't imagine wearing my nice shoes along the trek. Chicago is a dirty city, and unfortunately my walk takes me under a highway overpass which is just filthy. think pigeons, dirt and filth. then there's the whole inclement weather/winter issue to deal with...

and who said anything about looking awful? I've settled on commuter shoes that are dressy enough (see the black and brown pairs of allen day trippers referenced above - old pairs were similar), but are also clearly "sneaker-like" enough to send the signal that these are commuter shoes and not my actual dress shoes. ironically, my commuter shoes are still nicer (or at least are better taken care of) than most of the shoes that people are wearing on the train. the average person seems to take very poor care of their shoes in this city.

anyways, to each their own. I'm the only person I know with this approach so don't expect to convert others - just sharing. not sure this would fly, or be necessary, in a place like Manhattan. I certainly didn't feel the need to get creative like this when I used to live there. shorter walks and cleaner city (mostly).

Allen Edmonds day-trippers (no beauties, but serve their purpose):
http://www.6pm.com/allen-edmonds-day-tripper-black

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a pretty disgusting experience for you to get to work every day. Do you wash the sneakers with a high-pressure hose when you get to the office?

Don't mean to be rude but these AE sneakers are pretty awful looking IMO.

As you said, to each their own.

srivats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do - at least while my shoe collection is still manageable enough to allow it.

where else can I wear all of my nice oxfords on a daily basis? I actually used to keep more here until I recently decided to take all of my loafers home and that they are no longer formal enough for work-wear (by my own ever-evolving taste standards)

and I keep a pair of overshoes here and at home, just in case.

trust me I've gone back and forth on it, and still do... but on the days I take the train I just can't imagine wearing my nice shoes along the trek. Chicago is a dirty city, and unfortunately my walk takes me under a highway overpass which is just filthy. think pigeons, dirt and filth. then there's the whole inclement weather/winter issue to deal with...

You make some good points ... where I live, I don't have to worry about weather too much. Or for that matter, dirty roads. I do walk easily 1.5 miles a day outside while at work and my shoes have been fine so far. I'd topy them if there is a good cobbler.

while we're on the topic, I upgraded my commuter-shoes this morning on STP - got some allen edmonds day trippers in both black and brown for a steal. those puppies should be able to take a pounding to and from the office.

Allen Edmonds day-trippers (no beauties, but serve their purpose):
http://www.6pm.com/allen-edmonds-day-tripper-black

I think weather and the distance you walk each day is a huge point to consider in wearing commuter shoes. Whatever said and done, walking shoes are indeed better for long distances since they don't punish your knees so much. Even bespoke dress shoes would be comfortable only so much - you can't even run short distances with leather shoes.

Those AEs are much better than what I see people wearing with (bad) suits. If you don't mind leaving shoes at work, certainly it is a good method since it works for you. Shoes fare better as well I'd guess, so it is win-win.

withstyle

Reaction score
no I just wipe them with my admin's hair. then she unlaces them for me and slips my freshly polished and gleaming john lobbs onto my feet.

and that moment alone makes the whole thing worth it.

Sounds like a pretty disgusting experience for you to get to work every day. Do you wash the sneakers with a high-pressure hose when you get to the office?

Don't mean to be rude but these AE sneakers are pretty awful looking IMO.

As you said, to each their own.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads