• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much water

Elusive

Reaction score
Check pubmed for scientific studies pre 1980s regarding water and you will see just how much water our kidneys can process remineralisation is the important factor and not loading your body with excess waater

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
OK guys...I was gonna start a thread, but may just want to hijack this one...anyway, I drink at least 150 fl oz a day (Usually on workout days I'll drink up to 200fl oz) and I'm pissing ALL THE TIME. Thing is, I keep getting sick, literally every 2-3 months I'll get a cold that'll knock me for a few days (have one now on vaca, it SUCKS). Every doctor I've been to and had urine and blood tested says I'm ok due to how much i work out or run. I'd like to hear what some of you clowns think. If I try and cut down I feel so damn thirsty, but have a feeling that its all in my head. I've been on this water regiment since I started losing weight (was ~210, now am 165) which was 5 years ago.

7AD

Reaction score
It really depends on how physically active you are. Personally, I drink one glass of water in the morning and coffee throughout the rest of the day.

Chico2007

Reaction score

OK guys...I was gonna start a thread, but may just want to hijack this one...anyway, I drink at least 150 fl oz a day (Usually on workout days I'll drink up to 200fl oz) and I'm pissing ALL THE TIME. Thing is, I keep getting sick, literally every 2-3 months I'll get a cold that'll knock me for a few days (have one now on vaca, it SUCKS). Every doctor I've been to and had urine and blood tested says I'm ok due to how much i work out or run. I'd like to hear what some of you clowns think. If I try and cut down I feel so damn thirsty, but have a feeling that its all in my head. I've been on this water regiment since I started losing weight (was ~210, now am 165) which was 5 years ago.

Are you having general cold symptoms (sneezing,runny nose) or worse? You say "knock me for a few days"? Do you feel aches and pains similar to the flu symptoms?

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Are you having general cold symptoms (sneezing,runny nose) or worse? You say "knock me for a few days"? Do you feel aches and pains similar to the flu symptoms?

Cold symptoms, mostly congestion and fatigue. Sometimes I'll ache but not always. I'm very active, usually work out 6 days a week.

Chico2007

Reaction score

Cold symptoms, mostly congestion and fatigue. Sometimes I'll ache but not always. I'm very active, usually work out 6 days a week.

I know you don't have many ticks down there, but I've had two friends who were having similar symptoms and were finally diagnosed with lyme disease this summer. They never recall having a tick on them, but ticks are a major problem here (upstate NY).
Congestion with runny nose could be allergies too. Not seasonal, but something like mold, dust mites, pets etc.

Feel better.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I try to drink 4 liters (1 liter =33 oz) a day if I can. Usually if I'm at home not doing much then I'll be 1.5 or 2 liters. Outside at least 3.

Sunnydale

Reaction score
Saw this about the importance of water for building muscle. So if into weight lifting, the timing of water drinking would be important also.

"Dehydration likely reduces the benefits of resistance exercise"

Over the years, I have become increasingly interested in the value of resistance exercise in maintaining or increasing muscle mass and strength, as well as its impact on general health and wellbeing. Individuals engaging in resistance exercise are often concerned that they fuel themselves adequately afterwards. A usual goal here is to supply the muscle with the protein/amino acids required to repair and regenerate muscle.

I was interested to read a study recently which suggests that the effects of resistance exercise might be affected by our state of hydration [1]. In this study, young men performed resistance exercise in three states of hydration: normal hydration, 2.5 per cent dehydration, and 5.0 per dehydration. A number of physiological markers were assessed prior to and after exercise.

Two of the most notable findings of this study were that in a dehydrated state, the men experienced:

1. higher levels of ‘stress’ hormones cortisol and noradrenaline

2. lower levels of testosterone

This is relevant because, generally speaking, stress hormones such as cortisol are ‘catabolic’ – which means they facilitate the breakdown of body tissue including muscle. On the other hand, testosterone is ‘anabolic’ – meaning it stimulates muscle generation.

All-in-all, what these results show is that performing resistance exercise in a dehydrated state may lead to fewer gains in terms of muscle development. Another problem with dehydration is that it will generally lead to individuals being able to do less work in a given session too, further limiting the benefits to be had from the exercise.

The rest is at:

http://www.drbriffa.com/2011/08/22/dehydration-likely-reduces-the-benefits-of-resistance-exercise/

speedy4500

Reaction score
I really don't drink a lot of fluids. Usually around 2 liters total of only water and milk (I allow myself one night of alcohol per week). But I primarily eat whole vegetables and meat and fruit, and lot of them, all of which contain a good amount of water, so I think I get a lot of water via my food since don't ever feel--and my piss doesn't appear--dehydrated despite not drinking so much fluid.

It is interesting to note how my water intake changes on cheat days when I eat lots of carbs and salty food... I'll drink almost twice as much, without peeing any more than usual, indicating that a lot of that water is just being sucked up into cells to try and balance things out. An additional 1 liter of water weighs 2.2 lbs.

mr.orange

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
for water it's eight eight ounce glasses a day (so 64oz) minimum. if you want to drink more and have to pee every hour then go for it. a good indicator that you're hydrated is clear pee. if it's yellow and smells then you're definitely dehydrated.

I researched and found this.

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think this has more to do with your training regime. By training so often it's not unusual if your immune system is not as strong as it should be. And living in NY and not having great immune system = plane crash. By training when you are a little sick you are literally inviting bacteria to attack. It is also important with a full recovery after bacterial infections, since they can blossom up if you start to train before they are completely gone.

I remember one time where I had a bacterial infection in the throat, and went on antibiotics. After a week I felt good, and since this was in my insane training period I had six workouts in the gym the first week. The infection blossomed like a *****, and went full rambo on ******. It also was immune to the antibiotics, so I had to be put in on 24/7 watch for about two weeks at the hospital. About five-six weeks after the blossomed infetion I could get back to training, with muscles like a 10 year old.

If tl;dr: Wait a week before training after you've been sick.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads