• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much waist suppression do you prefer?

• No waist suppression; sack coat

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Slight hint of waist suppression

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Light waist suppression

Votes: 27 24.3%
  • Moderate waist suppression

Votes: 52 46.8%
  • Significant waist suppression

Votes: 25 22.5%

• Total voters

CrimsonSox

Reaction score

A. No waist suppression; straight-hanging, as in a traditional, undarted sack suit.

B. Just a slight hint of waist suppression.

C. Light waist suppression (Paul Stuart's "Stuart" model):

D. Moderate waist suppression (Paul Stuart's "Paul" model):

E. Significant waist suppression (Tom Ford; Viscount Thurso in Aquascutum, from 1985):

Image sources, with larger pictures: A, http://www.styleforum.net/t/74417/sartorial-color-photos-from-1940-a-look-back#post_1232270
B. http://popcultureblog.dallasnews.com/files/2013/04/APTOPIX_THE_PRESIDENTS_CLUB_4065201.jpg
C. http://www.paulstuart.com/product_i...07&MainCatId=14&HEADERMENUID=1&SUBPRODCATID=0
D. http://www.paulstuart.com/images/items/md/7071234.jpg
E. http://img.spokeo.com/public/900-600/tom_ford_2007_03_26.jpg
E. http://www.corbisimages.com/stock-photo/rights-managed/NPK001387/viscount-thurso-with-dog

Last edited:

Tomboys

Reaction score
IME, the amount seems to be governed by the wearer's physique more so than by their stylistic preference (taste). In my case, I'm probably in the light category, but would love to be in the moderate category. Unfortunately, my taste for Oreo cookies makes my physique unable to achieve that moderate category.

CrimsonSox

Reaction score
If one tries both on, the Tom Ford is definitely more suppressed than PS's Paul model. The TF is a drop 7 or 8, depending on whether it's a base A or B, versus a drop 6 for the Paul. For some reason, though, it's difficult to find photos online of normal people wearing the Paul. Most are wearing the older Stuart or Edward model. The catalog photos make the Paul look as suppressed as the TF, since the PS suit is shot from a greater distance away, and it's in a lighter color, which shows its lines better. You make a good point that the "significant suppression" category could use a clearer picture:

Last edited:

CrimsonSox

Reaction score
IME, the amount seems to be governed by the wearer's physique more so than by their stylistic preference (taste). In my case, I'm probably in the light category, but would love to be in the moderate category. Unfortunately, my taste for Oreo cookies makes my physique unable to achieve that moderate category.

That's true -- one's physique does limit one's choices. At the same time, it's interesting that some people who can pull off a tighter waist choose to have less suppression. For instance, the sack coat was popular for many years, and today some men with a higher drop choose the less suppressed suit, since it's seen as more conservative.

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 to this. I'm in the moderate/significant category. Tom's "significant suppression" picture is really just tight across the button.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I want C, but my tailor always gives me D. My alterations tailor knows what I like though (after they made several OTR jackets into D)

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I prefer C (light waist suppression). I get my jackets with very lightly padded shoulders and think that a light amount of waist suppression gives enough shape and goes well with the less structured look. Plus I have wide hips so too much waist suppression will make the vents flare out.

kulata

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I prefer C (light waist suppression). I get my jackets with very lightly padded shoulders and think that a light amount of waist suppression gives enough shape and goes well with the less structured look. Plus I have wide hips so too much waist suppression will make the vents flare out.
+1

Exact sentiment.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Another +1 for this. I always seem to look better with light padding in the shoulders and just a little waist suppression. I have a gigantor ass that just looks weird if the waist is too narrow on my jackets.

CrimsonSox

Reaction score
Most of my suits are a C, light suppression, but I could fit a D or E (moderate or significant). I was thinking of having the suits taken in, though not to the Tom Ford degree. My major concern is whether the additional waist suppression will seem less professional or serious? Interestingly, both Presidents George W. Bush and Obama are quite fit, but they wear suits with barely any suppression.

GothamRed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most of my suits are a C, light suppression, but I could fit a D or E (moderate or significant). I was thinking of having the suits taken in, though not to the Tom Ford degree. My major concern is whether the additional waist suppression will seem less professional or serious? Interestingly, both Presidents George W. Bush and Obama are quite fit, but they wear suits with barely any suppression.

do not use politicians as style inspiration...unless, of course, you are an aspiring politician.​

CrimsonSox

Reaction score
Most politicians do dress badly, and their suits tend to fit like a box. But do you think that "D" would be too much for the office?

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most politicians do dress badly, and their suits tend to fit like a box. But do you think that "D" would be too much for the office?
...for the Oval Office? Yes....for your business office? No...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics