1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

How much waist suppression do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by CrimsonSox, Jul 27, 2013.

How much waist suppression do you prefer?

1. No waist suppression; sack coat

4 vote(s)
    4.4%
  2. Slight hint of waist suppression

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  3. Light waist suppression

22 vote(s)
    24.2%
  4. Moderate waist suppression

42 vote(s)
    46.2%
  5. Significant waist suppression

22 vote(s)
    24.2%
  1. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

Extra room in the chest, basically. I haven't got a very impressive figure, but I find I look a little better with some room in the chest.

On me, this coat:

http://faintyoungsunking.tumblr.com/post/41797767717/today-pringle-tie-but-i-dont-know-what-tartan

has less room in the chest than this coat:

http://faintyoungsunking.tumblr.com/post/43019677670/what-i-wore-today-with-brown-nubuck-chelsea

which means that, though the waist feels like it's about the same, the green jacket has more taper from the chest to the waist.

Here's a more technical explanation:

http://tuttofattoamano.blogspot.com/search/label/drape

2. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

I really appreciate you taking the time to list these out for me. I've read all of Jeffery D's write up and can see the range of drape in his examples. I will have to discuss next time I am in DC to see if that would be appropriate for me.

Thanks.

3. Mr Engineer

Mr Engineer Senior member

D/E

I am an athletic build so having Moderate/Significant suppression displays my build which I like. Having little to no suppression will make me look fat

4. CrimsonSox

CrimsonSox Senior member

This DB suit, worn by Cary Grant, has a nice level of waist suppression:
    [​IMG]

5. AlexE

AlexE Senior member

I usually get something between C and D

6. masernaut

masernaut Senior member

My vote is for moderate waist suppression. As I am still quite active in weightlifting and sports, I've developed a v-taper and so I prefer slimmer clothing. "Significant" waist suppression looks too constricting for me.

7. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I'm slim with an athletic build, so my business suits have moderate and my casual suits have significant waist suppression.

8. GBR

GBR Senior member

Sufficient to ensure the garment fits and looks right - there is no absolute answer to your unthinking question.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  9. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

Do you have to sound like a complete arse every time you post? The question was designed to spark a discussion, and it is quite an interesting one. There was no need to insult the OP.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
    2 people like this.
  10. chocsosa

chocsosa Senior member

I am more of a moderate suppression guy in most suits.. wider shoulders and a bigger chest and a smaller waist.. so Ill say D...