• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much waist suppression do you prefer?

How much waist suppression do you prefer?

• No waist suppression; sack coat

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Slight hint of waist suppression

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Light waist suppression

Votes: 27 24.3%
  • Moderate waist suppression

Votes: 52 46.8%
  • Significant waist suppression

Votes: 25 22.5%

• Total voters

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked D, though I'd be just as happy with C. I'd rather have a little too much waist suppression than too little. As long as I don't feel pinched, or like I'm swimming in my coat, I'm happy.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Light waist suppression

jebarne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want C, but my tailor always gives me D. My alterations tailor knows what I like though (after they made several OTR jackets into D)

If I was built for D, I would want D. To make me look like D, my tailor would need to start with NFL shoulder pads.

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I was built for D, I would want D. To make me look like D, my tailor would need to start with NFL shoulder pads.

What if you went for a draped chest and soft-but-extended shoulders?

jebarne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What if you went for a draped chest and soft-but-extended shoulders?

You know, I don't know what a draped chest is. I have to look into that. My tailor has never mentioned it either. Merci.

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You know, I don't know what a draped chest is. I have to look into that. My tailor has never mentioned it either. Merci.

Extra room in the chest, basically. I haven't got a very impressive figure, but I find I look a little better with some room in the chest.

On me, this coat:

http://faintyoungsunking.tumblr.com/post/41797767717/today-pringle-tie-but-i-dont-know-what-tartan

has less room in the chest than this coat:

http://faintyoungsunking.tumblr.com/post/43019677670/what-i-wore-today-with-brown-nubuck-chelsea

which means that, though the waist feels like it's about the same, the green jacket has more taper from the chest to the waist.

Here's a more technical explanation:

http://tuttofattoamano.blogspot.com/search/label/drape

jebarne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Extra room in the chest, basically. I haven't got a very impressive figure, but I find I look a little better with some room in the chest.

On me, this coat:

http://faintyoungsunking.tumblr.com/post/41797767717/today-pringle-tie-but-i-dont-know-what-tartan

has less room in the chest than this coat:

http://faintyoungsunking.tumblr.com/post/43019677670/what-i-wore-today-with-brown-nubuck-chelsea

which means that, though the waist feels like it's about the same, the green jacket has more taper from the chest to the waist.

Here's a more technical explanation:

http://tuttofattoamano.blogspot.com/search/label/drape

I really appreciate you taking the time to list these out for me. I've read all of Jeffery D's write up and can see the range of drape in his examples. I will have to discuss next time I am in DC to see if that would be appropriate for me.

Thanks.

Mr Engineer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
D/E

I am an athletic build so having Moderate/Significant suppression displays my build which I like. Having little to no suppression will make me look fat

CrimsonSox

Reaction score
This DB suit, worn by Cary Grant, has a nice level of waist suppression:

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I usually get something between C and D

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My vote is for moderate waist suppression. As I am still quite active in weightlifting and sports, I've developed a v-taper and so I prefer slimmer clothing. "Significant" waist suppression looks too constricting for me.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm slim with an athletic build, so my business suits have moderate and my casual suits have significant waist suppression.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sufficient to ensure the garment fits and looks right - there is no absolute answer to your unthinking question.

Last edited:

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sufficient to ensure the garment fits and looks right - there is no absolute answer to your unthinking question.

Do you have to sound like a complete arse every time you post? The question was designed to spark a discussion, and it is quite an interesting one. There was no need to insult the OP.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads