• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much vacation do you get?.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
You'd think after being shafted by the Man for so long, he would've gotten a promotion. But ed seems to just love his current position so much!

Well, I'm sure over the course of his career he has been in many positions. I'm sure he was shafted by many men.

Jon.

entropy kid

Reaction score
To add another country to France and the US.
I live in Switzerland and get 22 days off a year (5th year at company, same amount of holidays from the start) pretty much standard for Switzerland. Work time is 42 hours a week (theoretical).
Loads of my friends in Germany get 30 days at 38 hours a week but then again i'm earning better here than there so things are balanced...

gvibes

Reaction score
First year: 20 days, plus holidays. And really, if you hit your billables, no-one would notice if you bugged out a couple additional days.

WN2

Reaction score
After one full year in a company we get 5 weeks, of which 4 in the "summer" and 1 in the "winter".

eqpablon

Reaction score
30 days per year, which can carry over to the next year for a maximum of 60 days. Holidays off, and every other Monday off. I also get one hour a day to do physical training
smile.gif

Of course working full time for the Reserves isn't a get rich quick scheme, but the time off is nice
smile.gif

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Étienne
8.3% according to the official figures. There are problems with them (there are in all countries), but still the "real" number cannot be anywhere near double digits. Hasn't been for years.

I thought this was due to the fact that they lowered the amount of hours in a work day. So, instead of having one person work a lot of hours, you have two people working fewer hours. Seems kind of backwards, but it is better than people sitting around.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
I'm a lawyer at a big firm. Technically, I get 3 weeks vacation and 11 holidays. But, in reality, as long as I get all my work done and make my hours for the year, I don't think anyone really gives a **** about how many vacation days I take.

Having said that, this year I took 3 days.

Firms obviously vary, but based on my distant experience as an associate in a large firm and my more recent experience as a partner (and previously an associate) in a smaller firm, I would say that's accurate.

My wife always has trouble with the concept that, strictly speaking, I don't get any vacation time per se (whereas I did when I was an associate, which strikes her as counter-intuitive). The formula that determines my share of the (knock wood) profits in a given year depends on a number of factors, one of which is the amount of revenue I've generated. So I can basically take off as much time as I want and/or am able to schedule around case-specific commitments (trials, etc.), with the trade-off that there will be x fewer billable hours plugged into the forumula for me at the end of the year.

Etienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
I thought this was due to the fact that they lowered the amount of hours in a work day. So, instead of having one person work a lot of hours, you have two people working fewer hours. Seems kind of backwards, but it is better than people sitting around.
That's really a simplistic way of putting it.

Quick historical summary, in 1919 we established a 48 hours week, in 1936 it was put to 40 hours, in 1981 to 39 and in 2000 to 35. I don't see how you can see the 2000 measure as "backwards", it seems pretty much in line with the historical evolution here. At each of these points, of course, there were those who, just like the conservatives today, predicted it would destroy the economy if not the very fabric of society. I'm still holding my breath.

The 35 hours week was indeed defended by some people as a way to "share work". The reasoning seems pretty simple. Surely, if you reduce the work week by about 10%, everything else equal, you need 10% more people to do the work. Economically, though, things are much more complex than that (there are sectorial effects, dynamic effects, etc. - the rest is never equal). Anyway, in spite of what the caricature by some right-wing politicians would like to have us believe, this reasoning was never the official reason for the 35 hours week. It did create jobs, about 900,000 I think, but it was never intended to do just that, nor to do that via sharing a static amount of work.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
"Why? Do you work under edmorel?
devil.gif

Jon.

No, but I do know that ed has worked under a whole lot of CEO's in his lifetime.

Originally Posted by imageWIS
How under? And did he spend many late nights working in the same position?

Jon.

You'd think after being shafted by the Man for so long, he would've gotten a promotion. But ed seems to just love his current position so much!

You two make a great act together! Which one plays the rusty trombone?

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I get 5 weeks plus holidays. I take it all.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
You two make a great act together! Which one plays the rusty trombone?

I prefer the Alaskan Pipeline.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by entropy kid
To add another country to France and the US.
I live in Switzerland and get 22 days off a year (5th year at company, same amount of holidays from the start) pretty much standard for Switzerland. Work time is 42 hours a week (theoretical).
Loads of my friends in Germany get 30 days at 38 hours a week but then again i'm earning better here than there so things are balanced...

Welcome to the forum entropy kid !

In my company we work 8:12 per day, the 12 minutes cumulate so we can have several free days in the year, normally days-off to make the Christmas and Easter holidays longer.

So the company is closed from 23rd December to the 3rd of January for example that add to the anual holidays ( 4 or 5 weeks according to your years of service )

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
2 weeks, plus 11 days holidays, plus 8 days floating and personal days. when I travel on weekends or holidays, I take those days later.

Saltwater Wrangler

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Working's fine for killing time, but it's a shakey way to make a living.

Excellent quote Doc.

I work at a small law firm and we don't have a set number of vacation days. Obviously if you need a personal day or plan a vacation, you can take it but nothing is set in stone. This might change as we are talking of expanding, however it works well now. No one abuses it and as long as you get your billable hours in, there isn't a problem.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads