• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

how much to tip movers?

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hired a moving company to do a move for me. Three guys on the crew. What should I tip? Flat tip for each? Percent of total move?

What do you guys do?

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i paid $950 last time i moved and gave the 3 guys $100 to share.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I usually buy lunch, and then tip driver $100 and movers, $50 each. I have moved 4 times in the last 10 years so have some experience here..
laugh.gif

AintDatRite

Reaction score
Regardless of tip, you must always have bottled water/soft drinks available for them; never provide beer - unless you want your furniture dropped and/or damaged. For my last move, I tipped $50/person - but they were moving 4200 ft² worth of 'stuff' and they did an excellent job.

From About.com:
The information below is based on receipt of good service. If you feel you aren't receiving good service, don't feel compelled to tip. Tipping should be reserved for movers who do their job right. If a mover goes out of their way to accommodate you, then tip accordingly.

1. Provide cold drinks, coffee or whatever is suitable to the weather and time of day. Also provide food if the move takes a while and extends over the lunch period; pizza, sandwiches, something quick they can eat while on the move.

2. If there's only one or two movers, tip between $40-60 (to split if there are two) depending on how hard the move was (stairs, heavy boxes, awkward items, etc...).

3. More than one mover, tip $20 per person and give all the money to the head mover or supervisor so they can divide it afterward.

4. If you received absolutely amazing service, tips can reach up to $100. But the movers need to be really good, really helpful and do something beyond the call of duty, such as helping with last minute packing, taking the time to carefully wrap fragile items, or in my case once, helping me catch an escaped cat. That's definitely the sign of a really good and caring mover.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics