• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

how much to tip movers?

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hired a moving company to do a move for me. Three guys on the crew. What should I tip? Flat tip for each? Percent of total move?

What do you guys do?

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i paid $950 last time i moved and gave the 3 guys $100 to share.

gnatty8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I usually buy lunch, and then tip driver $100 and movers, $50 each. I have moved 4 times in the last 10 years so have some experience here..

AintDatRite

Reaction score
Regardless of tip, you must always have bottled water/soft drinks available for them; never provide beer - unless you want your furniture dropped and/or damaged. For my last move, I tipped $50/person - but they were moving 4200 ft² worth of 'stuff' and they did an excellent job.

From About.com:
The information below is based on receipt of good service. If you feel you aren't receiving good service, don't feel compelled to tip. Tipping should be reserved for movers who do their job right. If a mover goes out of their way to accommodate you, then tip accordingly.

1. Provide cold drinks, coffee or whatever is suitable to the weather and time of day. Also provide food if the move takes a while and extends over the lunch period; pizza, sandwiches, something quick they can eat while on the move.

2. If there's only one or two movers, tip between $40-60 (to split if there are two) depending on how hard the move was (stairs, heavy boxes, awkward items, etc...).

3. More than one mover, tip $20 per person and give all the money to the head mover or supervisor so they can divide it afterward.

4. If you received absolutely amazing service, tips can reach up to $100. But the movers need to be really good, really helpful and do something beyond the call of duty, such as helping with last minute packing, taking the time to carefully wrap fragile items, or in my case once, helping me catch an escaped cat. That's definitely the sign of a really good and caring mover.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 30 3.7%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 142 17.3%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 267 32.6%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 130 15.9%
  • 31 - 40