1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 9: A MTM nylon MA-1 bomber from Falcon Garments

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a nylon MA-1 from Falcon garments. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

How Much to Tip For Heavy Labor?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Leo Jay, Nov 29, 2004.

1. Leo Jay

Leo Jay Senior Member

How much do you guys tip for furniture/mattress/refrigerator deliveries, piano movers, etc.?  

And what elements factor into it: the number of of guys involved?  Stairs vs. elevator?  Number of flights?  Whether they're also removing the old mattress/refrigerator?

Is there a generally accepted formula?  Or do you just make your own unscientific judgement as to what's a fair and reasonable amount?

Edited because though generally a good speller, 'refrigerator' is one of those words I always want to mangle (note the uneditable thread subtitle...)

2. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Stylish Dinosaur

It depends, I usually tip about $10/person for a delivery of a very heavy item (like a mattress) but it really depends on the level of service, how much work they have to do, etc.

3. kabert

kabert Distinguished Member

I don't know of a formula/etiquette for this really; however, for my two house moves (using a moving company and one of those 18-wheel moving vans), I tipped each man $20 except the driver, to whom I gave $40 or $50.

I think it depends on the size of the job -- if it takes them all day of hard labor or just a couple of hours.

4. scnupe7

scnupe7 Distinguished Member

I hired movers for my last major move.  I tipped each mover $20.

5. johnw86

johnw86 Senior Member

On my moves, I used to tip $20 and a cold beer...however, due to liability issues, I'm now down to just the cash. For the last move, the movers worked hard and fast (in-town, half-day move), so I tipped them each $40.