1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

How much to change wedding to accommodate family?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by mordecai, Sep 19, 2012.

1. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

ok, can't argue there. but the offer is still open...

2. mcbrown

mcbrown Senior member

This is a fine outcome as well. As long as it's really what BOTH you and your wife want.

3. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

This is the right response. I read the rest of the thread and, eloping aside, if you go the wedding-on-Saturday-and-accommodate-her-as-best-you-can route, she will eventually come around and attend, though I have no doubt she will be uncomfortable at times (like with the food, music, microphones and dancing). Also, the idea that you and your sister inevitably won't talk to each other in ten years because of religious differences is stupid (sorry Globe). Every family is different and lots of families manage to accommodate differences (I say from personal experience). Sometimes it works and sometimes not.

4. globetrotter

ok, but you have to promise me that if you do elope, you call your sister and say "it's your fault my wife won't get the wedding of her dreams, you owe me big time" and then milk it for the next 20 years, including making them come to your house for passover and puting butter on the table. please.

5. globetrotter

yes, well, dopey is probably right

6. mordecai

mordecai Senior member

LOL

7. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

I would keep it on Sat and offer suggestions to have you sis there the day before so she could attend.

8. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

globe's sentiments towards his own sister are strong in this thread!

Mord, Know how much my wedding will cost me? $350! That ignores the vacation cost but we'd have taken a vacation no matter what. Even for her dress she's elected to go with a simple white affair and i'm just doing the slacks and white linen shirt thing since we're being married on an empty white sand beach in front of the house we've rented on an undeveloped island in the caribbean.

It sounds like you're not paying for your wedding, or are at least are getting substantial help, but give it serious thought. Who wants unnecessary debt? Especially in these times, it would make sense to start life with her unencumbered. As you're a man, I'm assuming that you're not very sentimental about the whole wedding ceremony thing, but Globe is right about their childish wedding dreams so don't do any hard selling on this... Definitely float the idea by saying something like "wouldn't it be nice to just elope?" after you finish discussing your PITA sister? Plant the seed and see where it goes.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  9. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

russian mail order bride?

j/k, geek.. congratulations!

still have to consider that almost every woman wants that walking down the aisle in a gown thing at least once in their life even if they're saying they're fine without it.

10. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

this. Even if she says she's ok with it and you believe her, tread cautiously.

11. mordecai

mordecai Senior member

yup. navigating those waters now. tried to make it clear that we could do whatever she wanted.