• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much tension is right for a shoe tree?

iroh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of shoe trees and they are the right size range for my pair of shoes (the trees don't come in specific sizes, so I purchased a size large for my shoes). So the trees fit correctly, however I always felt the spring tension was a bit high and this might stretch the shoe over the long term. So I took apart the shoe tree and cut off a small bit of the spring and put it back together. There is less tension now and the shoe trees still fit properly and hold thier shape in the shoe but now I wonder now if there is too little tension. What is the proper amount of tension for a shoe tree? I don't have specifically lasted shoe trees that fit exactly for my shoes so my only experience is with generic cedar trees. For those who have nice shoe trees, what is the right amount tension, if you can describe it.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I look for enough tension so that is straightens the crease across the the front toe box. No more, no less. My objective is to make sure the shoe doesnt banana over time.

NewYorkBuck

Reaction score
3.8746 Newtons
smile.gif

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If your sole is straight, that is enough.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think it's possible for a shoe tree to create too much tension without also becoming a pain *********** to get in the shoes. If they go in without too much trouble, then they're unlikely to stretch anything.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not too off topic, but related to shoe trees:

I bought a pair of Bruno Magli shoes a while ago, and after just 2 hours of wear, the creases and folds are the worst I ever encountered. Insert a shoe tree, and the shoe still looks like one that is 5+ years old and experienced regular wear. I assume the shoes are junk (never buying this brand again
mad.gif
), but they should not be complete junk given their price was upper 300's. I am wondering: Shoe tree improper, or just shoes that require too much TLC?

tgt465

Reaction score
Creasing happens when you wear the shoes. If you are getting excessive creasing, the blame should be on the wearing of the shoe, not the tree.

Excessive creasing can be a sign of poor leather, but it can also signal a poor fit. I can't say anything about the quality of Bruno Magli shoes, but maybe you just need to adjust your sizing.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Im pretty sure the shoes fit OK, I walk around in them without foot slippage or anything like that. I usually take 11.5 for a snug fit, but these Magli's on 11.5 resulted in my big toe hitting the end of the shoe, so had to go up one to 12.

I used another shoe tree on them, and it seems to be working better. I guess the tension was not right on the other tree I was using.

But still, I was told by Saks Sales Assistant that Bruno Magli were a top brand and he reckoned they were better than the Ferragamo's I was looking at. The shoe leather is soft, somewhat rubber like, but the sales assistant was aggressive and I just caved in and bought them. Now that I have worn them, sheesh, they crinkle far worse than a typical pair of AE's or Aldens.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just sharing some of my own observations and conclusions on this...
OTR shoe trees are unlikely to completely remove wrinkles. Over-stretching the shoes may give the impression that the instep wrinkles have almost disappeared, but this is not the case as the shoes are being over-stretched. Over-stretching the instep will only lend to more instep wrinkling. If you are seeing 'pull' on the sides of the shoes, the trees are too large.
About half-way on the shoe tree tension should be sufficient.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Klobber
I assume the shoes are junk (never buying this brand again
mad.gif
), but they should not be complete junk given their price was upper 300's.

That's because they're not only junk, but over-priced junk...

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Whilst Bruno Magli's may not be in the Vass/ EG/ Lobb etc class, they're not that bad. I wouldn't go so far as to say that they're junk, and some of the lines in the past have had quite decent construction. Overpriced? Possibly but it depends if you're used to paying full price for stuff or not. The more fashion forward lines are probably going to be less robust in construction but when you buy those, you're not going for longevity.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ravi
In fact, shoes don't even need laces and actually look pretty stupid and low class.

Spoken like somebody with a long history of going barefoot in the trailer park. Those webs between your toes did you inherit them from your mother or your uncle/father?

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ravi
Has nothing to do with whether you buy something on sale because I go by the retail price when comparing shoes. The problem is that these dweebs seem to think that some heavy clutzy wingtip that is uncomfortable (even when it's the right size which most of these dummies aren't even wearing) is somehow better than an Italian designed shoe made for comfort. It's all nonsense but these SF'er don't have a clue about how to dress and what to wear. Only a jackass would wear heavy shoes in the summer and some of these losers even wear boots and not even the elegant ones but the fugly looking lace up kind
lol8[1].gif
In fact, shoes don't even need laces and actually look pretty stupid and low class.

So whose sock is this guy?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics