• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

how much storage do you have?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Somehow, I have 5 hard drives in my main computer. I have a 74gb 10krpm raptor, a 1tb drive, and 3 other 250-300gb drives for a total just under 2TB. The raptor is the system and database drive. I split my virtual machines over 2 Hard drives and use the rest for storage and backups.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
3 year old laptop has 100 GB in it.

New desktop I built a couple of months ago has 2x 640 GB. I was initially planning on getting one of the new 300 GB raptors for my system drive but everything I read about the two WD drives I got reported that they were really fast. I was gonna throw them in RAID 0 but decided against it because I just plain didn't need it.

I then have 2x 500 GB externals + 1 300 GB external.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where is the "No idea. Seems enough" poll option?

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
I split my virtual machines over 2 Hard drives and use the rest for storage and backups.
You sure do keep a lot of Appreciation.

MCsommerreid

Reaction score
~2.3 TB of storage storage. There's another 100 GB or so being used as system disks and immediate use.

Backing up media collections takes ridiculous amounts of space.

I remember the days when a 4MB hard drive was just too big.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Will be ramping up to 4TB RAIDed.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Movies?

You guys are talking serious data, I can't imagine what could take up that kind of room short of video.

~ H

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Movies?

You guys are talking serious data, I can't imagine what could take up that kind of room short of video.

~ H

For me, it's media. A lot of pr0n (and this is despite deleting at least 60% of what I download) + a mix of music and movies. I also have a large software collection.

One of these days, I have to go through everything and do some "spring cleaning".

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Video (I have a 6-tuner PVR built on an HTPC), and digital photos, where RAW images take a lot of space.

The practical availability of unlimited storage has dramatically changed how we deal with various media already. You stop worrying about deciding and editing on the spot because you needed to erase things to save space, and think more in terms of finding what you want when you need it, which you may not know when you initially captured the source material. It's like a validation of packrats everywhere.

--Andre

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Movies?

~ H

I just built an iSCSI SAN at work for a pretty reasonable amount of money. I could totally see some people starting to deploy them in the home soon. The thin-provisioning capabilities of apps like SANmelody are pretty damned cool, and a proper iSCSI SAN would enable multiple people to watch videos and record them to a central location without hitting disk bottlenecks. It's not really a priority for me right now, but I can see myself putting my entire dvd collection onto hard drives. I get sick of all the binders and cases lying around. Right now i have a lot of divx movies, but the quality is **** on anything big. With the cost of storage now, it's totally feasible to store an entire HD movie collection on an array of 1+TB drives. We will be seeing 2TB in a couple years, if not less. This is all pretty cool, but I don't have a holodeck yet, so regardless of the advances, I'm still kinda pissed.

KBW

Reaction score
I have 2 1TB WD externals and 3 hard drives in my computer but only use one of them.

milosh

Reaction score
I'm at about 800GB but will be getting 2x1TB soon.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Lets see... I have a 75GB and a 750GB in my media center. A 250GB and a 500GB sitting on top of it waiting to be plugged in, but not currently in, so I didn't count it. Might be a while before I get everything set up. In the living room, there's another 500GB. And I have about 7GB of SD cards plugged in at the moment.

And its mostly dvd rips from Piratebay.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've got two 1TB drives for backup, one mirrored so it acts like 500GB. 320GB in my desktop, 80 in one laptop and 60 in two others. The ridiculous thing is, I need more for backup. Anyone have a recommendation on a good RAID 1 system, preferably with some NAS capability?

NaTionS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
3x640GB for storage. I have a lot of HD movies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads