How much space do you have to prep food for cooking in your kitchen?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by merkur, Jul 5, 2011.

1. merkur

merkur Senior member

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011

2. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

I've previously never really tried cooking at home, instead relying on takeout and dining out with the occasional microwaveable dinner/canned food thrown in for good measure, however recently I have entertained the idea of cokoking again however I realize that my condo's kitchen is ridiculously tiny with only ~8 sq. ft of prep area. This begs the question of how much kitchen prep area for cooking do other people have (in particular, those who live in condos or studios)?
    I live in a tiny apartment. My counter's like 4x2 feet and I have the smallest oven/burner ever. I manage just fine cooking for two everyday.

3. BrianVarick

BrianVarick Senior member

I had a little bit of counter, so I bought an island from Ikea. I could not imagine just using my counters now.

4. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    basic rule of thumb: you'll use as much space as you have. i've had tiny kitchens so small i had to put my cutting board over one of the sinks to prep (worked really well, actually). right now i've got quite a bit of counter space. neither really affected the quality of the food.

5. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

I probably have enough room for 8 people to prep. Maybe more. I don't use much of it, though, unless we have friends or are having a party.

6. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

I probably have enough room for 8 people to prep. Maybe more. I don't use much of it, though, unless we have friends or are having a party.

You have cooking parties with your little friends? That sounds gaylordish to the extreme unless I am mistaken about what you guys mean by prep area.[​IMG]

I dunno how much prep space I have, you'll have to ask those fine folks of chinese extraction who feed me.

7. itsstillmatt

8. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

the way you cook, you probably do need it. the one real advantage i've found to a lot of space is it helps with plating ... you can line 'em up and arrange to your heart's content. in fact, come to think of it, that may be one reason i prefer passed platter service. just got used to it working out of a smaller kitchen.

9. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

i can fit 2 people or 3 fuumas in my kitchen [​IMG] of course, if i include les marocains who use the balcony where they cook lamb over a fire then I can have 8 as matt does.

10. itsstillmatt

the way you cook, you probably do need it. the one real advantage i've found to a lot of space is it helps with plating ... you can line 'em up and arrange to your heart's content. in fact, come to think of it, that may be one reason i prefer passed platter service. just got used to it working out of a smaller kitchen.
    Given the choice, I'd have a bigger laundry/fridge room and a smaller kitchen, but it is a pretty good setup. Most of the space is unused, but if we have a party, there is a lot of room to put dishes, glasses etc. You know, I used to put everything on platters until kwilk came over one time and ridiculed me for it. Don't allow him in your house, it just costs you time.

11. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Space? I live in NYC, I don't even know what the word means.

12. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

You know, I used to put everything on platters until kwilk came over one time and ridiculed me for it. Don't allow him in your house, it just costs you time.

that would be reason #32 kwilkie will never enter casa foodguy.

13. Threak

Threak Senior member

My one bedroom apartment (~495 sq. ft. I believe) has just 35 linear inches of counter space [​IMG]. With a dish rack beside the sink, I'm left with just 20 inches on the other side. I just use my dining table for preparing food, but it is a pain having to get it cleaned up too if I'm entertaining. As a bachelor, most of my meals are eaten in my underwear on the couch, so I deal with the mess later.

My stove/oven is full size, though electric [​IMG], and my sink is a shallow little single-basin thing. I was given a microwave, and have to keep it on top of the fridge due to lack of space.

14. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

I have a huge kitchen which I designed myself when I remodeled it, which was a huge mistake since I ended up with not nearly enough counter space.

15. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

I have a huge kitchen which I designed myself when I remodeled it, which was a huge mistake since I ended up with not nearly enough counter space.
    I know somebody who can help with this, but lord knows I can't afford her [​IMG]

I have a tiny space, yet I can still make some pretty good stuff in there. The biggest detriment is not the size of my kitchen, rather the lack of cooking skill on my end. Should the need for more space arise, I'll just overflow onto the bar or use the kitchen table.