• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much should I tip my maid?

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've arranged to have her come over once a month. She's charging $45 for about two hours of work. The price is a bit high but I don't think she is an illegal. Should I tip her maybe $5 to make it an even $50?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I agree. I think *we're* too overly concerned about tipping everyone around us. A nice holiday gift is the best option, along with any other service folks you have personal contact with on a regular basis (gardeners, mailmen, etc)

Margaret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't tip independent contractors -- it all goes to them anyway.

Originally Posted by Kent Wang
I've arranged to have her come over once a month. She's charging $45 for about two hours of work. The price is a bit high but I don't think she is an illegal. Should I tip her maybe $5 to make it an even $50?

Why not just ask for documentation?

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tipping isn't necessary in this situation. As others have noted, a holiday bonus is in order. We give a bonus of twice the regular fee to our housecleaner at Christmas/New Year's.

Bouji

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Margaret
Why not just ask for documentation?

I would personaly not care less; in the UK the law is such that it is not my problem, just theirs. I don't know about the US.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I'll stiff her unless she performs some extraordinary service like cleaning up evidence of a murder.

I have a friend who has a car wash service, which is similar to maid service -- he drives out to the client and cleans their car -- and he tells me that he gets tipped all the time.

I don't care whether she is an illegal or not; I just suspect that an illegal would be much cheaper.

Margaret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I'll stiff her unless...

That is not tip enough?

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I have a friend who has a car wash service, which is similar to maid service -- he drives out to the client and cleans their car -- and he tells me that he gets tipped all the time.

That's different. Anything involving cars tend to involve tipping (valet, cleaning, etc...).

Jon.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I'll stiff her unless she performs some extraordinary service like cleaning up evidence of a murder.

I don't care whether she is an illegal or not; I just suspect that an illegal would be much cheaper.

Is that like car detailing?

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Upon further consideration, if she is good looking you should tip her 3 inches.
devil.gif

Jon.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Is that like car detailing?
I believe that's what he calls it.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Upon further consideration, if she is good looking you should tip her 3 inches.
devil.gif

Jon.

esp if she works in a french maid outfit. then give her all 4 inches.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yes, I keep that extra inch in reserve and unleash it only for special occasions.

I suppose she could be an illegal French maid.

Goblin

Reaction score
I tip "service workers" whether it's called for or not, mainly because I've been there, and it does make a difference. Even if it doesn't make a significant difference to their bottom line, it makes people feel appreciated and is just a nice thing to do. If that person reciprocates with better service in the future, as sometimes happens, it's money well spent. If not, you're out $5-10 that would have just gone to the commemorative Mao trinket industry anyway.

But yeah, I wouldn't do it out of any feeling of obligation, or out of some weird-ass desire to bond with the help. I just do it to help somebody else who's where I was at not too long ago. It's not like a moral imperative or anything.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads