• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much should I taper my pants?

Mr Engineer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a few pants that need to be tapered and I was wondering how many inches should I taper it to. I am going to taper my pants from the knee down because I have big thighs and above the knees is fine.I don't want the pants to be covering up my shoes as it is right now. Is there a way to measure the proper length of tapering? Is there a norm in inches that people usually taper their pants?

papa kot

Reaction score
Pics please. If you have large upper legs, I would think twice before deciding to taper the pants, as you may end up looking off balance.

I too have large upper legs and through trial and error I've determined that a fuller straight cut looks best. My favorite pants are 10" from knee down. These pants look great with elongated shoes that have more pronounced angles (think AE last 3-333 or Peal Co. Straight Captoe Bluchers).

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Is there a norm in inches that people usually taper their pants?

Not really, your size and shoe size are factors. If you have trousers you like, measure them.

Mr Engineer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pics please. If you have large upper legs, I would think twice before deciding to taper the pants, as you may end up looking off balance.

I too have large upper legs and through trial and error I've determined that a fuller straight cut looks best. My favorite pants are 10" from knee down. These pants look great with elongated shoes that have more pronounced angles (think AE last 3-333 or Peal Co. Straight Captoe Bluchers).
This is how my pants currently look

firedancer

Reaction score
Hi Engineer,
I wouldn't worry too much about tapering the trousers in the picture. They don't seem to fit very well as it stands and throwing more money at them isn't going to help your cause.

The pockets are flaring and the upper portion looks to be quite a mess. They seem to fit in your upper leg but are perhaps hemmed too short.

Trousers can be tough for men because we have all sorts of shapes but they're sold by a single waist measurement.

I would try on pants that first drape properly from the waist. Secondly that fit your trouble spot ( large quads and hammies) then thirdly fall to a nice break at your shoe.

Once you have these figured out then you may see a need for tapering that should be experimented with your tailor.

Good luck.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You need to let the waist and/or seat out on those, not taper them. Look at the pockets.

Mr Engineer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When it comes to my waist size its tough because my buttocks pokes out but at the same time I have a slim waist.I usually wear a 34 waist. A 36 waist with a belt won't help because it will cause my waist line to be scrunched up. The pockets sticking out tends to happen with bigger lower body people wearing flat front pants so I can live with it.

Last edited:

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So get the seat of your pants altered or get a 36 and have the waist taken in.

Last edited:

papa kot

Reaction score
So get the seat of your pants altered or get a 36 and have the waist taken in.

+1

Tapering is the least of your issues. If you don't want to go custom, you'll have to get pants that are one size larger in waist and then take them in. If you have bigger upper legs, then you should not put focus there. This means fuller upper leg that falls correctly and, probably, fuller straight leg.

imanewbie

Reaction score
You need to let the waist and/or seat out on those, not taper them. Look at the pockets.
he is standing spread leg I know when I spread legs out they pockets do flare. I doubt thats his normal stance.....

imanewbie

Reaction score
When it comes to my waist size its tough because my buttocks pokes out but at the same time I have a slim waist.I usually wear a 34 waist. A 36 waist with a belt won't help because it will cause my waist line to be scrunched up. The pockets sticking out tends to happen with bigger lower body people wearing flat front pants so I can live with it.
I have the same issues as you personally, but dont have big thighs. If I move up in waist size then my pants bunch up with a belt. when I go smaller in waist its 'firm' fitting around my hips so I get custom.

karwoski

Reaction score
Pleats can help with the waist/seat/thigh sizing issue. They can be done tastefully and if the pants are part of a suit, the jacket will cover the pleats anyways. These days people are told that pleats are the work of the devil but they do serve a purpose.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
its plain and simple the pockets stick out because the pant is too tight.
it is rather silly to wear trousers bunched up under the belt when the
waist can be altered smaller by itself.

imanewbie

Reaction score
its plain and simple the pockets stick out because the pant is too tight.
it is rather silly to wear trousers bunched up under the belt when the
waist can be altered smaller by itself.
at the same time I dont want to be wearing a size larger pant either too look like McHammer from back in the day.

Off the rack is tough for me personally if I go up in size to accomodate the pockets not to flare (if I was to stand like him) then I have baggy pants. So its a tough call go bigger to get rid of the pocket flare (if one was to stand like him) or go smaller to get the flare or just go custom.

Yes though his pockets do flare alot I did his stand last night and I dont flare mcuh at all for off the rack pants like his. He will need custom I say.....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads