• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much should I spend on my 1st blue blazer// Any quick recs?

willmc

Reaction score
So my quick backstory is:

I worked in finance for 2 summers in college (am currently a senior), never needed a blazer since dress code was shirt/tie/pants/suit jacket optional. Now looking for a blue blazer and I'm not sure how much I should look to spend... my suits were probably $600 avg (1 navy Hugo Boss and 1 charcoal gray Hickey Freeman). I am a major lurker so I trust you guys... I am willing to make this a major investment, 5yrs+. I also have a somewhat large chest from working out, at 5'7'' I wear a 38S usually, and I'm about a 31/32 waist.

Thanks. Fire away Gentleman. :slayer:

willmc

Reaction score
Spoo, thanks for the post man! You are somewhat of a big deal around here I surmise... haha. Do you think its okay to be aggressive with my blazer since I won't be using it at work, likely ever? I really love this one: http://www.mrporter.com/product/184793. Much appreciated.

-Will

willmc

Reaction score
If you all could also suggest some good brands...I feel like we talk a lot about MTM suits on here, but maybe its worth it to go MTM on the blazer? i'm not really sure. thanks.

Last edited:

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Spoo, thanks for the post man! You are somewhat of a big deal around here I surmise... haha. Do you think its okay to be aggressive with my blazer since I won't be using it at work, likely ever? I really love this one: http://www.mrporter.com/product/184793. Much appreciated.
-Will

That's basically just a spring/summer blazer because of the color and it being cotton. It's on the trendier side so it's something that might look very out of place several years down the road, in my opinion.

Most people opt for a darker navy, and lightweight wool.

willmc

Reaction score

That's basically just a spring/summer blazer because of the color and it being cotton. It's on the trendier side so it's something that might look very out of place several years down the road, in my opinion.
Most people opt for a darker navy, and lightweight wool.

Thanks, I really appreciate it. Are there any particular brands that you would suggest for me in this style? Or perhaps you could show me an example and then I can find similar jackets? Again, thanks, I will very likely go with your suggestion.

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks, I really appreciate it. Are there any particular brands that you would suggest for me in this style? Or perhaps you could show me an example and then I can find similar jackets? Again, thanks, I will very likely go with your suggestion.

Just to grab one quick example from the same price range ...

http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/...60&ab=ln_men_cs1_sportcoats&parentPage=family

I think this would be considered a more versatile navy blazer. I'm not a fan of gold buttons but you get the idea ... it's that darker navy, lightweight wool fabric. etc.

Brooks Brothers makes a similar one but for about 40% less at full retail and I believe the BB model does not have gold buttons.

Frankie22

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Just to grab one quick example from the same price range ...
http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/...60&ab=ln_men_cs1_sportcoats&parentPage=family
I think this would be considered a more versatile navy blazer. I'm not a fan of gold buttons but you get the idea ... it's that darker navy, lightweight wool fabric. etc.
Brooks Brothers makes a similar one but for about 40% less at full retail and I believe the BB model does not have gold buttons.
x100.

Get the buttons changed and you're good to go.

This was actually my first blazer and I still wear it to this day.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brooks Brothers has a 30% off sale going on right now, so you can take a look at the 1818 line in the regular cut. Retail is $600-$700, so you can get one at a decent price. They also have a few other cuts available, but the ones I saw are only half-lined (basically almost see-through from just below the chest), and probably not great for your first and only (for the time being) blazer.
I also tried a nice one on at Paul Stuart, but it retails for $950, and I don't believe they have any sales.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Spend as much as you can to get the best possible one. Its the item you will reach for most in your closet. Don't cheap out on it.

I agree with this: spend as much as you can, since you'll be wearing it often. I have a custom navy blazer that I wear all the time. It surprises me how often I reach for it, but it's always appropriate and it fits so damned well!

-Will

For a first blazer, buy something navy blue. since navy will be most versatile. The one you linked would be maybe my 4th blazer, since the color limits it's utility, as others have noted. If you bought it and wore it frequently, you would become "the guy with that electric blue blazer".

If you all could also suggest some good brands...I feel like we talk a lot about MTM suits on here, but maybe its worth it to go MTM on the blazer? i'm not really sure. thanks.

You should try on a variety of blazers by different makers to see which brand fits best and looks best on you. Every manufacturer's jackets fit slightly differently, to the extent that I don't even try on some maker's jackets and suits anymore.

Last edited:

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You won't need MTM for a navy blazer, OP, and it would add a shitload of unnecessary cost in most cases.

Sleven

Reaction score

emptym

Reaction score
I'd buy one or more for $5 each at a thrift store, wear it/them for a while, figure out what kind of details I like (fabric, pockets, length, button placement, lapel shape, shoulder type, lining etc.) and then a year or two later buy a custom one once my knowledge and finances were adequate and I found a tailor I liked and trusted.

Last edited:

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A year or two? That sounds pretty extreme.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads