How much should I hem my dress pants, if I want to show a little ankle?

Discussion in 'Menswear Advice' started by akwit, Jun 12, 2016.

1. akwit

akwit Well-Known Member

I like the no-sock, dress shoe look for summer.
    Id like my pants to show a little ankle, but not too much.

How much should I hem my pants? (in this example, I am looking to shorten some fitted linen pants)

2. chippneckwear

chippneckwear Affiliate Vendor

Because of the physical differences from individual to individual, there is no formula. If you are having a tailor hem the trousers have him/her pin the trouser and see if that is what you want. If you are hemming the trouser your self ,do the same thing.
    Paul Winston
    Winston Tailors/chippneckwear

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2016
  3. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

Moved this to the Menswear Advice forum...you should be able to hem them so they just graze the top of your shoe, but still show a bit of ankle/sock.

4. GBR

GBR Senior member

Entirely for you to decide how to interpret this silly fashion. You could wear trousers redolent of culottes or anything down to giving the appearance of them simply not fitting properly.

5. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Just my opinion, but I think people are going to regret the short trouser + sockless dress shoe look.

That said, if you want to go with it, I would keep in mind that linen rides up as it wrinkles throughout the day. So if you get your trousers hemmed with a shivering break when they're new and straight, they'll show a little ankle once worn. I also find that pants ride up a little when you walk. If your pants are hemmed short (even when wrinkled), they look very, very short when you're mid-stride.

6. 1907jb

1907jb Well-Known Member

Same opinion, but you'll get the length you want if the bottom of the pants hit the top of the ball of your ankle (the malleolus)

7. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

+1 to all of this.

8. double00

double00 Senior member

even shorter when you're riding your dutch bike but it probably makes more sense in that case.

while i know it doesn't answer the op (I would just ask for no break [altho shivering break is an amazing term and will probably impress your tailor more]) i think that that look is about as faddish as say lower rise, flat-front trousers or sack coats which i find to be just as juvenile as (and yet essential to!) the "browne" look.

you could also consider tapering your trou to create a little negative ease and make the hem tailoring more apparently purposeful.

fwiw i like the look.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016