• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much should I be paying for this bespoke suit?

beny

Reaction score
It's Loro Piana 120s fabric, 100% mohair worsted wool, around 7-8oz weight, fully canvassed, 90% is done by hand (tailor mentioned some simple seams are sewn by machine, but things such as lapels, button-holes, all the important stuff is hand sewn), single-breasted, etc.

What would one expect to pay for this type of suit at an Asian tailor?

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Fabric is just a portion of the value of the suit. A big chunk of the suit's value also comes from the work the tailor puts into it. Who's the tailor anyway?

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mohair is not wool- which is it? BTW LP does not make 100% mohair fabric.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yachtie
Mohair is not wool- which is it? BTW LP does not make 100% mohair fabric.

And certainly not a super 100 mohair!
laugh.gif

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
Ask for cloth with a different brand name. LP wool tends to, for want of a better word, suck.

Originally Posted by Sator
Yes, you'd have to pay me money to get any LP cloth made up.

Veritas est.

beny

Reaction score
The tailor is some random shop that I found in Singapore - he seems like he knows what he's doing. The other fabric that he recommended was Dormeuil. He also had the likes of H&S, but recommended against it, as he said it tends to be overpriced in Asia.

How much would Chan or a comparable tailor charge for a suit of the specs I posted above?

ETA: Also, it might've been Merino wool, or some other "m" word... obviously, I'm not too good at this...

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by beny
The tailor is some random shop that I found in Singapore - he seems like he knows what he's doing. The other fabric that he recommended was Dormeuil. He also had the likes of H&S, but recommended against it, as he said it tends to be overpriced in Asia.

How much would Chan or a comparable tailor charge for a suit of the specs I posted above?

ETA: Also, it might've been Merino wool, or some other "m" word... obviously, I'm not too good at this...

Get the Dormeuil.

beny

Reaction score
I appreciate the suggestions, but can somebody please answer my original question and tell me how much one would expect to pay for a Loro Piana suit of the specifications I mentioned?

Thanks,

pabloj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should understand, but your tailor should have told you the same, that you are paying for cloth and for work, work being the main part.
Many tailors do indeed quote the suit without the cloth as the customer might want to bring his own cloth.
I've just placed my first bespoke order this way, I've sourced my cloth on eBay and went to a local tailor.
Loro Piana cloth is usually quite expensive because you're paying the brand too, generally speaking they have some nice cloth (IMHO) but I don't think that the name of the cloth should be the selling point.

BTW: my tailor told me the cloth is very good, so I can confirm that you can trust that eBay seller.

Reaction score
For real deal Loro Piana $1500 to $2500. If you are paying considerably less then it is probably a lower quality fabric than advertised or thrown together craftsmanship. Of course there is always the possibility of a screamin deal with low profitability for the manufacturer.

Personally I do not care for Mohair. I prefer my wool blended with cashmere or silk if it is going to be mixed at all.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheHaberdasher

Personally I do not care for Mohair. I prefer my wool blended with cashmere or silk if it is going to be mixed at all.

Mohair is absolutely wonderful for summer. It breathes, but remains crisp and razor sharp when you travel with it. I would never choose cashmere or silk blends for the hottest weather.

beny

Reaction score
Thanks, I'm paying right in that price range.

BeyondBespoke

Reaction score
Originally Posted by beny
It's Loro Piana 120s fabric, 100% mohair worsted wool, around 7-8oz weight, fully canvassed, 90% is done by hand (tailor mentioned some simple seams are sewn by machine, but things such as lapels, button-holes, all the important stuff is hand sewn), single-breasted, etc.

What would one expect to pay for this type of suit at an Asian tailor?

The labor rate from Asian tailors should not exceed $400 for a full canvas construction. Fabric is estimated at $100 per yard from my experience. Good luck.

Nick Torres
Beyond Bespoke

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads