• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much running will affect weight training?

scugger

Reaction score
^ Thanks for the link Gray. That seems weird though because the mile is ~1609 meters which is substantially more than 1500m.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scugger
^ Thanks for the link Gray. That seems weird though because the mile is ~1609 meters which is substantially more than 1500m.

That's because us Americans are badasses. We don't run no steenking 1500 meters. We run 1609 meters!

I would agree that it's pretty silly though to change back to the imperial units since records need to be measured against the standard that 99% of the world uses.

buckeye75

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Grayland
I never really bought into the whole separation of cardio and lifting. I don't separate them. As a matter of fact, I almost always combine them. Usually weights combined with sprints or Crossfit-style workouts. I can think of many instances in real life when strength and cardio are combined: cops chasing down a suspect, firefighters carrying someone down a ladder, infantry soldiers, MMA fighters and wrestlers, rugby players. Granted, those aren't average "jobs", but I think it's important that those people have a good idea of their strength capabilities when winded and be able to fight through the fatigue. I don't doubt that separating cardio/weights leads to better bodybuilding results, but the people I just mentioned train for function rather than looks.

I understand what you're saying, and yes, if it's about practicality then you are right. But like you said, those are NOT average jobs, and so if you are not planning on saving someone from a burning building or if your fight with GSP gets cancelled, you can at least focus on looking good lol. I actually just got out of the military and it's crazy how my workouts have changed.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by buckeye75
I understand what you're saying, and yes, if it's about practicality then you are right. But like you said, those are NOT average jobs, and so if you are not planning on saving someone from a burning building or if your fight with GSP gets cancelled, you can at least focus on looking good lol. I actually just got out of the military and it's crazy how my workouts have changed.

Edit: I guess my first thought is: why do you have to focus on just looking good? Can't you be in shape and look good? Can't you do both in the same amount of time? Actually being in shape takes no more time, but takes much more effort. It's easy to bench press and curl, very hard to squat and deadlift. Takes no more time, but it's harder work.

The thing is: form usually does follow function. The guys/jobs I mentioned; don't they normally look pretty good fitness-wise? Of course, I'm older now and have gone through the "just wanna look buff" routine. I've been there - where you just want to look good in order to get laid. Over the years, I noticed that many of those guys weren't really able to use their body well. They were"huge" but couldn't move well in a game of pick-up basketball or football, couldn't just up and ski without being too sore to move the next day, often couldn't fight because their muscles didn't represent anything real. To be honest, I'm just trying to keep my physical abilities as I get older and I find that combining intense lifting/cardio allows me to hold on to my athleticism. Works pretty good for me, but YMMV.

BTW, I was stationed in Savannah (Hunter Army Airfield) from 1982-1985. 1/75 Ranger Battalion. Savannah is an awesome city.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads