• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

how much room should be in your shirt collar?

jamesbond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i know its been stated that 2 fingers should fit inside your collar comfortably, but there really isnt anything too specific out there about how a collar should fit. i guess its more of a preference type thing.

i was watching The Thomas Crown Affair last night (brosnan) and his collar seems to fit like a glove. not to tight so that the skin on his neck is bulging over the collar and not loose enough to were you can see any noticably large gaps when he bends his head forward, maybe a little small space when he moves but he most certaintly couldnt have had enough room for 2 fingers to slide in there.

my neck measurement is a perfect 14 with the tape measure held firm to the skin, i think im going to have some shirts made with a 14.25 collar (after shrinkage). do you think that a 1/4 inch will be enough for a perfect fit or will i be strangled to death? i just dont like the look of a collar that shows a huge gap when i turn or bend my head a little or alot. obviously if i bend forward or sidways enough there should be a little space but nothing noticably large.

obviously some people are in there shirt and tie all day so they need to be comfortable so they give themselves a little too much room, IMHO. so is a quarter inch too uncomfortable for most (any shirt makers out there)

thanks gents.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As little as possible so there is no gapping visible, keeping in mind:

-- comfort
-- fluctuations in your weight
-- avoidance of the "strangled" look if you've got a flabby neck

Personally, I think the "fingers" measurement is too variable and too often leads to shirts that are too big.

alchimiste

Reaction score
I would agree with Kabert here. The right size for collar, armholes, chest, etc. is the samllest size that's comfortable. I guess you have a bunch of RTW shirts; check out the collar sizes of the ones which are too tight: you need more; check out the collar sizes of the ones which are too loose: you want less than that.

android

Reaction score
What is the measurement?
Center of button to center of buttonhole?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
The finger test is not bad; in general I prefer such tests and rules and guidelines as being better than nothing.  But they have their limitations.

In this case the problem is that the human neck is not a marble column; it is soft.  Therefore, you could probably cram up to eight fingers in a well-fitting collar; they would just press into the flesh of your neck.

Collars are indeed measured from the center of the button to the center of the buttonhole.  Good shirtmakers shrink the hell out of the cloth before they cut the shirt.  Thus they don't have to build in any shrinkage.  Or else they know from experience exactly how much each of the cloths they use will shrink, and build in just that much.

I agree that a collar should not be precisely fitted to the neck.  But it should look as if it were.  That means, in general, that if you measured your neck (under the hairline in back and under the Adam's apple in front) snuggly, and added 1/2", you are likely to come up with the correct collar size for you.  Likely.  Large necks may require a little more, small necks slightly less.

Kabbaz, correct me if I am wrong.

jamesbond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The finger test is not bad; in general I prefer such tests and rules and guidelines as being better than nothing.  But they have their limitations.

In this case the problem is that the human neck is not a marble column; it is soft.  Therefore, you could probably cram up to eight fingers in a well-fitting collar; they would just press into the flesh of your neck.

Collars are indeed measured from the center of the button to the center of the buttonhole.  Good shirtmakers shrink the hell out of the cloth before they cut the shirt.  Thus they don't have to build in any shrinkage.  Or else they know from experience exactly how much each of the cloths they use will shrink, and build in just that much.

I agree that a collar should not be precisely fitted to the neck.  But it should look as if it were.  That means, in general, that if you measured your neck (under the hairline in back and under the Adam's apple in front) snuggly, and added 1/2", you are likely to come up with the correct collar size for you.  Likely.  Large necks may require a little more, small necks slightly less.

Kabbaz, correct me if I am wrong.
thanks manton, now that is actually some usefull info. not that the other posts werent but they were rather of common sense.

i thought the collar was measured from the center of the button to the end of the button hole, because when the collar is buttoned its natural tendency to want to unbutton (for lack of better words) pulls the button all the way to the end of the hole. the end of the button hole/**** is what makes it so the collar cant come undone.

does that make sense?

drljva

Reaction score
(Manton @ May 02 2005,07:17) The finger test is not bad; in general I prefer such tests and rules and guidelines as being better than nothing. Â But they have their limitations. In this case the problem is that the human neck is not a marble column; it is soft. Â Therefore, you could probably cram up to eight fingers in a well-fitting collar; they would just press into the flesh of your neck. Collars are indeed measured from the center of the button to the center of the buttonhole. Â Good shirtmakers shrink the hell out of the cloth before they cut the shirt. Â Thus they don't have to build in any shrinkage. Â Or else they know from experience exactly how much each of the cloths they use will shrink, and build in just that much. I agree that a collar should not be precisely fitted to the neck. Â But it should look as if it were. Â That means, in general, that if you measured your neck (under the hairline in back and under the Adam's apple in front) snuggly, and added 1/2", you are likely to come up with the correct collar size for you. Â Likely. Â Large necks may require a little more, small necks slightly less. Kabbaz, correct me if I am wrong.
thanks manton, now that is actually some usefull info. not that the other posts werent but they were rather of common sense. i thought the collar was measured from the center of the button to the end of the button hole, because when the collar is buttoned its natural tendency to want to unbutton (for lack of better words) pulls the button all the way to the end of the hole. the end of the button hole/**** is what makes it so the collar cant come undone. does that make sense?
When I read the earlier posts I thought the same thing. Still, doubt that it makes much difference either way (fraction of an inch...).

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
does that make sense?
Yes, it does. But for some reason (tradition?), center to center is the way most shirtmakers take the measurement. I think drljva is right that it will only affect the measurement by a little bit, perhaps 1/8", no more than 1/4" certainly. Maybe shirtmakers automatically build that in? I also find that my own collars don't pull to the right of the buttonhole as much as one might expect. I don't know if that's true for others as well.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
FYI, over on AA Kabbaz says that I am wrong and you are right. Live and learn.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't think AK was posting here anymore...(due to the Grayson incident)

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't think AK was posting here anymore...(due to the Grayson incident)
styleforum has a much lower business potential than AA for Kabbaz most likely. But maybe I shouldn't write such a thing.

Luc.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads