• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much of your music collection do you listen to?

toothsomesound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got ~100 gigs, it's impossible to listen to all of that music in a short period of time obviously and that's not really the point. It's more of a (modest) collection than anything else.

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
None, since I don't have a collection.

In the car it's always on NPR, I don't own mp3 players, and all my CDs were stolen a few years ago. The only music I listen to is on Rhapsody at home, but that doesn't require downloading, nor does it give you a license for the music you play.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm closing in on 300 GBs. Much of it I've probably only listened to one or two times. I went on a kick a while back of trying to download entire collections by some artists I was marginally interested in.

Over the years, I find that I would continue to listen to probably the same few albums (or songs) over and over again so I made up a few iTunes smart playlists that I listen to almost exclusively now that help mix things up a bit more (unless of course there is a specific song or album or artist I want to listen to).

The playlists automatically rotate songs in and out based on my ratings for them and how often or when I last listened to them.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KitAkira
Can't tell the difference between 320kbps and lossless, imo (unless you blast it through a really top notch system) especially given the size difference

I can't tell the difference, but I see no reason to archive them in something other than lossless form. The only disadvantage is size, and a $100 1.5TB drive would hold every bit of music I own or will own in Apple Lossless.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
hmmm, maybe a thousand CDs(?). will have to count. have no idea about the gigabite size....
eh.gif

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Around 200GB. Haven't listened much music lately. Among the music is about two days worth of Metallica
laugh.gif

EdenResident

Reaction score
I don't understand the concept of keeping songs you'll never listen to just because they're in the same album as some of your favorites.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EdenResident
I don't understand the concept of keeping songs you'll never listen to just because they're in the same album as some of your favorites.

say what?!
eh.gif

EdenResident

Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
say what?!
eh.gif

I'm talking about people who rip entire albums onto their hard drive, not just the ones they like. Obviously, if you keep a CD collection, you can't be selective.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm talking about people who rip entire albums onto their hard drive, not just the ones they like. Obviously, if you keep a CD collection, you can't be selective.

but how do you know what you like unless you 'rip' it and then listen to it?

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Rip, listen, delete.

OR

Listen, rip only tracks you like.

Is it that hard?

No, it's not that hard. but (either of) your methods would result in missing out on a lot of good music. Lots of stuff needs more than an initial listen to appreciate, get into, etc. Music can grow on a person. A lot of my favorite music became so long after it would've been deleted using your method. Plus, the whole thing smacks of 'file maintainence' = you're worried about saving space and constantly engaged in in a culling process in order to save on bandwith/storage space/whatever you call it.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
No, it's not that hard. but (either of) your methods would result in missing out on a lot of good music. Lots of stuff needs more than an initial listen to appreciate, get into, etc. Music can grow on a person. A lot of my favorite music became so long after it would've been deleted using your method. Plus, the whole thing smacks of 'file maintainence' = you're worried about saving space and constantly engaged in in a culling process in order to save on bandwith/storage space/whatever you call it.

Yeah, I'd rather spend my time listening to my music instead of administering to my collection.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads