• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How Much of a Shine?

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Beau Brummell was known to use champagne to polish his boots so that they resembled lacquer. Olga Berluti pays homage to this with vintage Dom Perignon.

I ask, how shiny do you like your shoes?

Personally, I prefer a lacquered shine. I really can't stand some of those distressed shoes that are popular now, or those who thinks unpolished shoes are acceptable. I'm also not particularly keen on a soft shine.

I like to think of a well-shined shoe as a bit of a middle-finger to slob convention.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
personally I don't like a high shine, except in certain cases. Like maybe just the cap on a captoe cordovan shoe.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
personally I don't like a high shine, except in certain cases. Like maybe just the cap on a captoe cordovan shoe.

Sometimes when walking, I like to stare down at my shiny shoes especially in contrast with the grey concrete or something.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
iced belvedere and soda!

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wish I could raise the heavy, high gloss shine from my shoes. However I think the leather used also contributes to only being able to raise a soft shine from them.

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Beau Brummell was known to use champagne to polish his boots so that they resembled lacquer.

I'm afraid that is a myth that Ian Kelly dismisses, in his book about the beau, as a ruse

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a Cub-Scout leader in my spare time and I know when my shoes are shiny enough because the Cubs will say "Your shoes are so shiny!" I like a nice shine but I don't want to be able to see the features of my face.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by appolyon
I'm afraid that is a myth that Ian Kelly dismisses, in his book about the beau, as a ruse

Interesting. I've not read the biography yet, but it made for a nice legend.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Olga Berluti pays homage to this with vintage Dom Perignon.

Isn't this an apocryphal tale too?

Or is it for real?

Anyone with first hand knowledge?

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
Isn't this an apocryphal tale too?

Or is it for real?

Anyone with first hand knowledge?

According to what's written about the Swann Club and all that jazz, it is true. At least that's what those members do.

St.Crispin's recommends a bit of alcohol mixed in with the water when polishing as the shine can be acquired faster than using plain water.

contactme_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like my shoes so shiney they reflect like mirrors and blind the eyes of the sartorially weak minded who walk among us.

kali77

Reaction score
I prefer a more subtle shine with sportcoats and odd trousers. If I am dressing more formal for work(Suits) than I shine them up a bit more than ususal.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
According to what's written about the Swann Club and all that jazz, it is true. At least that's what those members do.

St.Crispin's recommends a bit of alcohol mixed in with the water when polishing as the shine can be acquired faster than using plain water.

More recently they've been using cheaper champagne. Until LVMH can find a way to produce champagne in China, I suppose.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads