• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much movement in a suit?

Dinky89484

Reaction score
How much should I expect to be able to move while wearing a suit? While it's obvious to me that I won't be playing sports or anything of that magnitude in my suit, I'm not however as clear as to how much free room and movement I should have in my suit, especially if the suit is supposed to be a perfect fit.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wll a perfect, bespoke suit, tailored and altered to perfection should give you almost totally unrestricted movement. If you mean ready to wear then you should have about *_____________* this much room to move.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It really depends on the suit and style in question. Most suits I own allow for a good amount of movement; but I do have a few of the more Euro-styled slim fitting ones that are more restrictive.

Mostly, it's around how much I can move my arm with my suit buttoned. I fly a lot, and in the past, I've reached for the storage space with my jacket buttoned, only to have the button literally pop out because I tried moving "too much". Some of the more padded jackets tend to be more restrictive in the shoulder area compared to the natural shoulder ones.

And quite honestly, your suits will never be as "free" as some of the more casual options.

Dinky89484

Reaction score
So should I opt for a very tailored fit and sacrifice movement? The reason I ask is, I'm probably more of a 37R. Going down to a 36R works but it'll probably fit almost exact and going up to a 38R won't necessarily look awful but I'd definitely have more movement.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
In my bespoke suits, I can pitch from a full windup. When I am wearing OTR, I can only throw from the stretch, using a slide step, and I have to change my release point a little.

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dinky89484
So should I opt for a very tailored fit and sacrifice movement? The reason I ask is, I'm probably more of a 37R. Going down to a 36R works but it'll probably fit almost exact and going up to a 38R won't necessarily look awful but I'd definitely have more movement.

I think it all comes down to your level of comfort and how you feel in the 36R vs the 38R. If you feel uncomfortable in the 36R, you won't feel confident, it will show through in your disposition, and people will notice. Don't worry about trying to squeeze yourself into a smaller suit if it doesn't feel right.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should be able to whizz your arms around propeller style.

Make sure you counter-rotate your arms for stability though

bigbucky

Reaction score
Most RTW will have lower armholes so it's going to be more restrictive

Unless it's bespoke it probably won't look good swinging your arms around but who needs it to?
More important is how it looks when you're standing at the bar

Dinky89484

Reaction score
That is true. I guess a lot of movement does depend on how high the armhole is. I just don't want to stand and look good. Occasionally I will need to move around. Last thing I would want to happen is to go for a hand shake or a hug and be restricted.

bigbucky

Reaction score
I just get wheeled around Hannibal Lecter style.

I think you're overthinking this.
If you feel restricted when you go for a handshake the suit is too small.
But if you give a hug the suit is going to move. That's just the nature of a suit.
It can't fit perfectly throughout all ranges of motion.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Armhole size is part of the equation, though it probably gets more press than it deserves. Fullness across the shoulder blades is essential. The rarely-seen action back (a.k.a. bi-swing back) also would be welcome.

Dinky89484

Reaction score
Watched an online video interview with Simon Spurr today (because I was researching about his suits) and he actually commented that there's a little misconception about suits and movement. People thing the suit needs to be bigger or baggier to have more range of motion. He suggest that it's the opposite. If the suit fits you like a glove and is an overall tighter fit, it becomes more "one with the body" and movement becomes easier. Kinda interesting. He designed for YSL, RLBL/RLPL, and CK.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like to play football in my suits.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NOBD
I like to play football in my suits.

Don't you mean soccer, you heathen?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads