• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much more comfortable are bespoke shoes?

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those of you who actually own (real, not mto) bespoke shoes: how much more comfortable are they?
I read about all that's taken into account when you bespeak shoes in the Vass-book and I'd like to know if there's a significant difference to (well-fitting) RTW shoes.

Taxler

Reaction score
I have bespoke shoes from 3 different makers, and I wouldn't describe any of them as the most comfortable shoes I own; they're about the same as well fitting RTW.

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn, I just saw that I forgot the "comfortable" in the title. Could a mod change it, please?

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My most comfortable shoes by a decent margin are bespoke, although good RTW is not necessarily uncomfortable. If a Vass last fits you, for example, then you can do quite well for about 20% of London bespoke prices.

Much of the benefit with bespoke comes from not needing excess volume to accomodate the foot. You can therefore get a shoe that feels both snug and spacious, without looking at all clunky. Also, if you have high insteps as I do, you can get oxfords that fit as well as derbies, while accomodating any other mild (or extreme) quirks in the shape of your foot.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
YMMV depending on the quirks of your feet. I have very flat and asymmetric feet (about 1 full size difference). My first bepoke fits my ankle much better than RTW. The R shoe fit from the start. The L took some breaking in and will require adjustments on the next pair. RTW usually takes me 3-6 months to break in before it starts to fit. And even then the heel doesn't fit as well as bespoke.

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would not say they are more comfortable but they fit better. If any of my shoes were uncomfortable I would not wear them. I do have fairly normal shaped feet so most shoes fit reasonably well.

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rebel222
hit "go advanced" below the reply text box

Thanks.

So, to sum it up, most people who have experience with bespoke shoes say that they aren't significantly more comfortable than well-fitting RTW. This somewhat disillusions me...
Any different opinions?

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This can't possibly be. More opinions please.

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the problem?
Some people buy bespoke shoes because they have difficult to fit feet and will get much more comfort.

Others who have pretty normal feet buy bespoke because of the ability to choose a design which is just what they want and as I said they fit better so the shoe looks "sleeker". Do your bespoke suits feel more comfortable? Probably not but with any luck they look better.

To me bespoke is more about style than comfort.

mimile

Reaction score
Originally Posted by culverwood
What's the problem?
Some people buy bespoke shoes because they have difficult to fit feet and will get much more comfort.

Others who have pretty normal feet buy bespoke because of the ability to choose a design which is just what they want and as I said they fit better so the shoe looks "sleeker". Do your bespoke suits feel more comfortable? Probably not but with any luck they look better.

To me bespoke is more about style than comfort.

+1

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have 2 pair of pre-prada church, 1 pair of trickers, and 2 pair of bespoke vass (although there is some argument on the board if vass is mtm or bespoke)

the vass are much more comfortable. I have pretty much stoped wearing the others.

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
the vass are much more comfortable. I have pretty much stoped wearing the others.

Now that's more of what I expected. I thought when they take into account your way of walking, where your RTW shoes are worn through first etc, etc (they do that, don't they?) that would result in a significant difference.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't own any bespoke shoes, but I've bought RTW shoes and placed thin orthotics into them that make them extremely comfortable. That being said, I've grudgingly not bought shoes before because the overall dimensions did not fit my feet, but to me that beats paying over a thousand bucks for a pair of custom-made shoes that are fit "too well" and cause pain or are difficult to break in.

For my feet, dress shoes have become significantly more comfortable since I started wearing orthotics. And, I would speculate that a good pair of graphite orthotics with no padding on top can fit into most your shoes that you already have. The exception would be loafers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads