Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

How much money would you need to not care about paying full retail price?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by stevejobs, Jun 2, 2008.

1. babygreenspots

babygreenspots Senior member

Perhaps people that happily pay full retail often did not make the money themselves.

2. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

I was raised with an almost puritanical appreciation of thrift, which I have to reconcile with my rather lavish tastes. As such, I try to get the best bargains I can out of principle, and would do so regardless of income level. Sam Walton was incredibly wealthy, yet drove a beat-up old pickup truck. I find that very appealing -- much preferable to excessively conspicuous consumption.

Of course, for me the bargain hunting is quite a bit of the fun, so I can't say I mind.

3. Jumbie

Jumbie Senior member

There's something about getting a good deal that makes me very happy. This goes for cheaper items that I can easily afford e.g I needed a USB cable the other day and took my time waiting for the right combination of sale + coupon to come around.

I rarely buy anything except food at full retail and that's only cause it's usually the cheap, unhealthy junk that always gets the coupons and special sales.

4. stevejobs

stevejobs Senior member

How much money one has has no correlation to the price /value ratio of goods.

In Plain English, I'd still get peeved paying some outrageous retail markup no matter how much I made.

I generally shop paying more attention to the price/value ratio rather than the actual price.

It is not a matter of being ripped off per se. People buy at full retail price or else the goods wouldn't be priced there to being with. The calculation is a matter of time and conveniece versus waiting around for sales. In most high-end stores sales are infrequent and the supply is scarce. So, do you pay in full now or wait and hope it is still around come markdown time?

If you are rolling in dough, you don't really have to make this tradeoff since you can't take it with you...[​IMG]

5. bigbris1

bigbris1 Senior member

Regardless of how much money I make or have I'm only willing to pay what I'm willing to pay for items. I just came back from Marshall's & picked up a beautifully hand-made tie, easily worth $40 in my eyes. It was marked like $15 but I still waited on line at the customer service desk to get 10% off because I found a loose thread on the skinny part.

Sure I drove my gas guzzling Range Rover there, spent time poring through shirts to no avail & finally settled on the tie. I'n my eyes it was worth it.

I'm allergic to paying full retail on anything. I still feel guilty paying $255 for my RL Stantons, which I've wanted for a very long time. this is the most I've paid for any article of clothing in my entire life. Usually I won't go over $100 for ANYTHING clothing related.

6. alliswell

alliswell Senior member

It is not a matter of being ripped off per se. People buy at full retail price or else the goods wouldn't be priced there to being with. The calculation is a matter of time and conveniece versus waiting around for sales. In most high-end stores sales are infrequent and the supply is scarce. So, do you pay in full now or wait and hope it is still around come markdown time? If you are rolling in dough, you don't really have to make this tradeoff since you can't take it with you...[​IMG]
    What I said before:
    Your psychology determines your willingness to pay...
    In addition, there's no guarantee that it's only the rich who support list price levels. When you see someone buy something, all you know is how much they spent. You've learned nothing certain about how much they make.

7. stickonatree

stickonatree Senior member

i would be rich, not stupid.

8. contaygious

contaygious Senior member

I pretty much settle for the price of a lot of things being in Vancouver and having a hard time finding clothes that fit me at my height. Finding things online for a good price is fun, but I hate searching and searching and being limited to what online retailers carry.

If it's worth it quality/style wise I'll buy it on the spot which is better than looking online and never finidng it and coming back to the store where it's sold out.

9. vitaminc

vitaminc Senior member

i would be rich, not stupid.

I research and trade for a living and really CBF to do the same when it comes to apparel; when I am rich enough that is.

10. The_Foxx

The_Foxx Senior member

interesting topic and replies. as for me, i'm willing to pay retail for neckties, trousers, and the occasional dress shirt (maybe one or two per year) under normal work/ pay circumstances.

the only time I pay full retail for big ticket items (suits, especially the rare made to measure; lobbs-- even at discount, etc.) is when I'm making overseas-money, well above what i normally make.

11. sanrensho

sanrensho Senior member

I don't make a ton of money but generally I don't worry about the price under a few circumstances..

1. The thing will last forever
    2. I want it and can afford it even at the full retail price (that rules out a Kiton suit)
    3. I see it and want it and will probably never be able to find it again

Also, generally speaking for myself, most things are wants and not needs, so if I really have an issue with the price I simply won't buy it.

12. constant struggle

constant struggle Senior member

13. yachtie

yachtie Senior member

It is not a matter of being ripped off per se. People buy at full retail price or else the goods wouldn't be priced there to being with. The calculation is a matter of time and conveniece versus waiting around for sales. In most high-end stores sales are infrequent and the supply is scarce. So, do you pay in full now or wait and hope it is still around come markdown time?

If you are rolling in dough, you don't really have to make this tradeoff since you can't take it with you...[​IMG]

Well, convenience is part of the price/value calculation isn't it? As you say, some things are just not on sale ( or not on sale at a convenient time) so they're bought at full retail. My main gripe is with the markup for certain labels wherein the quality doesn't support the pricing, the branding does. For those items, I won't pay full retail .

Example: Is a Kiton shirt worth $800? No. A good deal of that pricing is due to the branding.
    Is a Charvet Grande measure shirt worth $400-$500 ? Probably as more of the cost is in actually getting a shirt fitted to you with the details you want. Neither of these are "steals" but one has a better p/v than the other.
    It really doesn't matter if you're rolling in dough or not. It's an attitude.

14. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

You guys must mean AFTER TAX income.

You guys forget that the so called "rich" are the despised kind of society, where any problems of short fall in revenue is automatically layed at their feet. "They are rich, just raise the taxes"

AT the current tax bracket, a $500K income gets you into the 40% bracket. You end up with $300K only.

[​IMG]

Jon.

15. Nouveau Pauvre

Nouveau Pauvre Senior member

Looking for bargains and deals and trading and going to outlet stores and factory sales is a lot of fun. A big part of what I enjoy about fashion is trying to get these good deals.