• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much longer will the thick eyeglasses trend last?

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If this is another case of the pendulum swinging (I believe it is), rather than a phase shift (which the slim-fit thing may be), how long do you think this will last?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I give them another year or two. But it won't matter to me. I've been wearing the same pair for the past five years. I wore a similar pair for the five years before that, and I just had a similar bespoke pair made that will hopefully last me over the next decade.

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I give them another year or two. But it won't matter to me. I've been wearing the same pair for the past five years. I wore a similar pair for the five years before that, and I just had a similar bespoke pair made that will hopefully last me over the next decade.

All equally hideous as the one before?

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How much are decent bespoke glasses? Where did you get yours made, mafoo?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by randallr
All equally hideous as the one before?

To you, probably. But maybe that isn't saying much.

Originally Posted by bluemagic
How much are decent bespoke glasses? Where did you get yours made, mafoo?

Depends heavily on the material. I just got black plastic ones from E. Meyhrowitz in Pairs; 500 euros for the pair, I think. Horn would have cost 900 euros and tortoise shell 3,000 euros.

JFKJean

Reaction score

I frankly don't care b/c it's has lasted all of the eras and I don't see any reason why it wouldn't survive another 50-100 years. I'd love a pair of tortoise shell plastic frames but I might have no other choice than to look into bespoke frames b/c I have a larger face

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bluemagic
If this is another case of the pendulum swinging (I believe it is), rather than a phase shift (which the slim-fit thing may be), how long do you think this will last?
- who cares, this is styleform not fashionforum & we make our own rules!
smile.gif

- FWIW I still have a pair of Oliver Peoples for Paul Smith from 96!

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
A pair of glasses that fit your face will never go out of style.

My new ones should be here sometime soon.

LookSharp

Reaction score
Are we talking about the horn-rimmed Elvis Costello/Buddy Holly 'indie glasses'? They've been around since forever although what's happened in that mainstream retail chains have started to cater to the hipster demographic directly and so that geek-chic look has been everywhere across the Western world and now young people stroll out of Topman looking like a slacker US indie band from 1991.

Steven Aver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Phat Guido
- who cares, this is styleform not fashionforum & we make our own rules!
smile.gif

Thanks for my new signature quote!
worship.gif

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LookSharp
Are we talking about the horn-rimmed Elvis Costello/Buddy Holly 'indie glasses'? They've been around since forever although what's happened in that mainstream retail chains have started to cater to the hipster demographic directly and so that geek-chic look has been everywhere across the Western world and now young people stroll out of Topman looking like a slacker US indie band from 1991.

Right, but as you point out, their mainstream popularity comes and goes. I remember it was really easy to find 'geek' glasses, even at Lenscrafters, back in high school (late 90's). Then for a few years they became hard to find, came back in the mid-00's, and are still around now, but not quite as much.

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hence I have also been wearing my Aviators with the slight tint - just to rough it & mix it up..

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Depends heavily on the material. I just got black plastic ones from E. Meyhrowitz in Pairs; 500 euros for the pair, I think. Horn would have cost 900 euros and tortoise shell 3,000 euros.

Why would you get a pair of bespoke glasses in plastic
confused.gif

There is pretty much every possible style/size/design made in plastic. That's like getting a bespoke suit in polyester.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads