• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

How much longer will the thick eyeglasses trend last?

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 3, 2008
Messages
3,000
Reaction score
0
If this is another case of the pendulum swinging (I believe it is), rather than a phase shift (which the slim-fit thing may be), how long do you think this will last?
 

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Feb 11, 2007
Messages
22,512
Reaction score
3,505
I give them another year or two. But it won't matter to me. I've been wearing the same pair for the past five years. I wore a similar pair for the five years before that, and I just had a similar bespoke pair made that will hopefully last me over the next decade.
 

randallr

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jun 13, 2008
Messages
4,049
Reaction score
5
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I give them another year or two. But it won't matter to me. I've been wearing the same pair for the past five years. I wore a similar pair for the five years before that, and I just had a similar bespoke pair made that will hopefully last me over the next decade.

All equally hideous as the one before?
 

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 3, 2008
Messages
3,000
Reaction score
0
How much are decent bespoke glasses? Where did you get yours made, mafoo?
 

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Feb 11, 2007
Messages
22,512
Reaction score
3,505
Originally Posted by randallr
All equally hideous as the one before?

To you, probably. But maybe that isn't saying much.

Originally Posted by bluemagic
How much are decent bespoke glasses? Where did you get yours made, mafoo?

Depends heavily on the material. I just got black plastic ones from E. Meyhrowitz in Pairs; 500 euros for the pair, I think. Horn would have cost 900 euros and tortoise shell 3,000 euros.
 

JFKJean

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 4, 2009
Messages
295
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I give them another year or two. But it won't matter to me. I've been wearing the same pair for the past five years. I wore a similar pair for the five years before that, and I just had a similar bespoke pair made that will hopefully last me over the next decade.

I frankly don't care b/c it's has lasted all of the eras and I don't see any reason why it wouldn't survive another 50-100 years. I'd love a pair of tortoise shell plastic frames but I might have no other choice than to look into bespoke frames b/c I have a larger face
 

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 5, 2007
Messages
5,310
Reaction score
546
Originally Posted by bluemagic
If this is another case of the pendulum swinging (I believe it is), rather than a phase shift (which the slim-fit thing may be), how long do you think this will last?
- who cares, this is styleform not fashionforum & we make our own rules!

- FWIW I still have a pair of Oliver Peoples for Paul Smith from 96!
 

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Joined
Apr 28, 2004
Messages
19,178
Reaction score
14
A pair of glasses that fit your face will never go out of style.

My new ones should be here sometime soon.
 

LookSharp

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 5, 2009
Messages
95
Reaction score
0
Are we talking about the horn-rimmed Elvis Costello/Buddy Holly 'indie glasses'? They've been around since forever although what's happened in that mainstream retail chains have started to cater to the hipster demographic directly and so that geek-chic look has been everywhere across the Western world and now young people stroll out of Topman looking like a slacker US indie band from 1991.
 

Steven Aver

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2008
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by Phat Guido
- who cares, this is styleform not fashionforum & we make our own rules!


Thanks for my new signature quote!
 

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Feb 11, 2007
Messages
22,512
Reaction score
3,505
Originally Posted by LookSharp
Are we talking about the horn-rimmed Elvis Costello/Buddy Holly 'indie glasses'? They've been around since forever although what's happened in that mainstream retail chains have started to cater to the hipster demographic directly and so that geek-chic look has been everywhere across the Western world and now young people stroll out of Topman looking like a slacker US indie band from 1991.

Right, but as you point out, their mainstream popularity comes and goes. I remember it was really easy to find 'geek' glasses, even at Lenscrafters, back in high school (late 90's). Then for a few years they became hard to find, came back in the mid-00's, and are still around now, but not quite as much.
 

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 5, 2007
Messages
5,310
Reaction score
546
Hence I have also been wearing my Aviators with the slight tint - just to rough it & mix it up..
 

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Mar 10, 2006
Messages
25,925
Reaction score
3,511
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Depends heavily on the material. I just got black plastic ones from E. Meyhrowitz in Pairs; 500 euros for the pair, I think. Horn would have cost 900 euros and tortoise shell 3,000 euros.

Why would you get a pair of bespoke glasses in plastic


There is pretty much every possible style/size/design made in plastic. That's like getting a bespoke suit in polyester.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 32 3.8%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 144 17.1%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 278 33.1%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 132 15.7%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 71 8.4%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 49 5.8%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 25 3.0%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 22 2.6%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 17 2.0%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 8 1.0%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 9 1.1%
  • 100+

    Votes: 54 6.4%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
429,233
Messages
9,230,806
Members
193,762
Latest member
bogyo
Top