How much is your electric bill?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by CrazyJew, Jul 16, 2010.

1. CrazyJew

CrazyJew Senior member

I only bring this up because my electric bill was fucking ridiculous this month... $250, for what a 1300sq ft. house with two people and three dogs. WTF mate. I know I live in Florida and everything and it's ridiculously hot, but bloody hell. I think I know what drove it up $100 more than what it was last month- we hadn't replaced the air filter for about 3 months since we moved in pretty much, causing our AC's coil to freeze and basically run without generating any air. So USUALLY it's about $140-160 a month.

What about you guys? What's your living situation/electric bill? Got any tips besides unplugging everything?

2. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

$48-$88 depending on month.

3. whusurdadi

whusurdadi Senior member

Mine is usually $250 a month - my parent's usually have a $575 bill...[​IMG] my parents keep it at 65 all year round [​IMG]

4. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

Averages about $200 a month. I have a two story and live alone. I do my own laundry and have electric heating and AC.

5. DocmanCC

DocmanCC Well-Known Member

Got any tips besides unplugging everything?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882715001

You'd be surprised how much electricity, or how little, some things use. This will help you figure out what would be worthwhile leaving on or turning off.

6. Andrew V.

Andrew V. Senior member

$10-$15 in the winter, $30-$40 in the summer.

7. S. Paul

S. Paul Senior member

I only bring this up because my electric bill was fucking ridiculous this month... $250, for what a 1300sq ft. house with two people and three dogs. WTF mate. I know I live in Florida and everything and it's ridiculously hot, but bloody hell. I think I know what drove it up $100 more than what it was last month- we hadn't replaced the air filter for about 3 months since we moved in pretty much, causing our AC's coil to freeze and basically run without generating any air. So USUALLY it's about $140-160 a month.

What about you guys? What's your living situation/electric bill? Got any tips besides unplugging everything?

I live in South FL and yeah it's bloody hot all right. My electric bill goes from around $80-$100 in the winter up to $200-250 a month from June to October. I keep my filters changed on the A/C unit but it is also about 8.5 years old now. House is 2 story, 3 bed, about 2k sq. feet under air and thermostat is upstairs set at 74 most of the time.

So I figure my bills are about in line, I don't like it so I just pay it and don't think about it too much.

OP, don't forget to head to home depot and buy some spray cleaner (ask someone there) that is specifically for the coils on your AC unit. Spray 'em down and use a gentle bristle brush to clean the crap off and maybe that will help your efficiency a bit.

SP

8. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

$150-250 depending on month/season

I don't understand how anyone could have a $10 monthly electricity bill. The various BS taxes and surcharges and whatever at the bottom of the bill add up to more than that already.

9. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

I don't understand how anyone could have a $10 monthly electricity bill. The various BS taxes and surcharges and whatever at the bottom of the bill add up to more than that already.

Supposedly just running my pilot light in my stove costs $16 a month. WTF?

10. suited

suited Senior member

$287 for about 2200 sq ft in south fl. We've made a few modifications to hopefully decrease that next month.

11. cchen

cchen Senior member

I was just thinking about that today. Got my bill yesterday and it was $190. It doesn't seem possible that I used that much electricity.

12. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

I'm not proud of this, but when I was staggeringly poor in college I hooked everything in my apartment up to a neighbour's line. Her bill doubled and mine was about $10 a month. I only did it for one semester.

13. jgold47

jgold47 Senior member

I was just thinking about that today. Got my bill yesterday and it was $190. It doesn't seem possible that I used that much electricity.

We just got a bill for $20 for gas in a house we dont live in. That said, there is a gas hot water heater which I am guessing is eating some of it up.

Our bill for our 6 year old condo was about 50-60 in the winter (big plasma tv, etc..) but I am bracing for a 200+ bill this month due to the AC running non-stop.

On our new place, I am betting 150-300 for electricity and 100-250 for gas. FML.

14. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Lifestyle change - no homo

$247 this month. 2,000sf house in Texas. Has been below $100 in the winter.

In my old house (4,000sf with a pool and all the attendant equipment), $600-800 a month in the summer was pretty common. Had one month a few years ago where it got up to $1300. YIKES!!! It was an older house and not very energy efficient. Makes my $250 summer electric bills seem much more reasonable.

15. CMJTperry

CMJTperry Senior member

Just received mine for June, $598.00. Sucks, live in Orlando house is 3400 sq feet but have 14 foot ceilings. I hate summer.