• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

how much is too much

PreacherBoy1611

Reaction score
I am moving for the first time in my life and the school gave me no direction on how much to pack. I have four suits with 20 something shirts and 20 something ties. 1 pair of winter boots, 1 pair dress boots, two other pairs of dress shoes and 1 pair of tennis shoes. The after mentioned undershirts etc are included too. Did I just totally do it? the suits I have are navy, brown ( trying to trade this for charcoal gray PM if interested), gray. I do have a blue pinstripe I might bring but not sure. It is suit and tie every day so I feel like a pack rat.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
I assume you're moving to a college, right?
And you're not bringing anything but suits and shirts and ties?

Fraiche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What kinda school requires suit and tie everyday that is not part of a uniform?
puzzled.gif

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
if it isnt some school requiring a suit, if it's just some normal college in usa, just pack some tees and jeans and shorts and a couple of jackets/hoodies and youre set. leave the suits and shoes at home.
maybe bring a pair of dress pants and a dress shirt for the one or two times you may be going out on a date with someone, i dont know. but even then i would go out in a pair of jeans and a casual top.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I would bring maybe one suit -- two at the most -- to college. You're going to wear those suits about twice to three times a year at most. I could maybe see an argument for more suits when you're doing job interviews in later years, but even then, two suits (rotating each one out each day) is more than sufficient. College is not the time to be an SF-styled dandy, despite what anyone will tell you to the contrary.

PreacherBoy1611

Reaction score
Coffee machine
3 luggage cases
1 monitor and laptop plus bag
notebooks and pens
baptist voice magazines
1 set of cuff links
belts etc

Da Luis Vuitton Don

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PreacherBoy1611
Coffee machine
3 luggage cases
1 monitor and laptop plus bag
notebooks and pens
baptist voice magazines
1 set of cuff links
belts etc

the bolded text plus your user name name explains a lot
plain.gif

Modern Day Adonis

Reaction score
No denim but on special days. It is literally, suit and tie every day.
Please don't tell me you're going to Pensacola Christian? Place is way overly controlling, I don't know of any schools with stricter or more ridiculous rules. If you're not going there disregard my above comments. - Edit: Saw the winter boots, probably not then. What school requires a suit? I know of seminaries with more lax dress codes. To your original question, that is not too much. I've brought more clothes to my school and it's completely appropriate, especially if you live further from school. I live 14 hours from school so it make sense to have a sizable wardrobe at school; transporting clothes to and from home isn't practical.

PreacherBoy1611

Reaction score
Nope, Hyles Anderson College, made number 12 on the strictest college list. I am in Northwest Indiana and my bus route is in Chicago.

PreacherBoy1611

Reaction score
Nope, got the money and dorm room. I like highly disciplined enviroments, I tend to thrive.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Nope, Hyles Anderson College, made number 12 on the strictest college list. I am in Northwest Indiana and my bus route is in Chicago.

Oh man, if you live in Crown Point, I really DO feel badly for you.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
haha, why?
Spent 22 1/2 of my 23 years on this earth within 45 minutes of that place. Speaking from experience, it is a suckhole.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads