• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much is enough?

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
A forum member and I were discussing the edges of this question but I thought it might be worth a more direct look. What limits should one place on the size of one's wardrobe? The deals and sales keep coming, there are only so many days to wear what we have--how much is too much? This came home to me last night as I was trying to jam a couple of dress shirts in the closet after some late night ironing (bigger closet, maybe?). I'm not speaking of this from a moral standpoint (eg, you own too much--repent.). I'm talking about simply recognizing the limits of practicality. Now most (all?) of the people here are clothes hobbyists to one degree or another and some "excess" is to be expected. But, for an example, how many cufflinks do I really need (I've been on a cufflink spree of late) when I would wear them 4-5 times month on average (no comments, cuffthis.
biggrin.gif
). I don't necessarily aspire to have a vast collection of links, but I suspect my small number naturally will grow. Shoes are another obvious example around here. Ties, too. Anyway, just some thoughts.

Phil

Reaction score
i have a strict policy, based pretty much on experience and available closet space. goes like this:

Suits - I own 12 spring/summer suits, 12 fall/winter suits
Sport coats - I own 3 spring/summer coats, 3 fall/winter coats
Odd pants - not enough to warrant a limit
Shoes - 15 pairs

If I buy a new suit, one has to go. Thats my rule. Shoes I am a bit more flexible on, but not much.

STYLESTUDENT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the same policy as Phil, but my needs are less (I mainly wear sport jackets and blazers with ties to work):
7 suits
7 sportjackets
15 odd wool trousers (mainly gray)
7-8 shoes
20 shirts
15-20 ties

Much of what I own are duplicates (gray flannels, Alden loafers, navy blazers, blue Hermes ties, etc.).

I'm always replacing an item that's either worn or "not good enough" with a similar item. "Just one more thing and I'll be done". Others are more honest and just collect-limitless cufflinks, shoes, ties, etc. And let's face one harsh fact-if you are collecting custom suits instead of,say, silk knot cufflinks, there's less money available to fund your child's education.

ROT

Reaction score
And let's face one harsh fact-if you are collecting custom suits instead of,say, silk knot cufflinks, there's less money available to fund your child's education.

Amen. As soon as the kid gets the scholarship to university, I'm booking a flight to London. Of course she's just 7 1/2 weeks old...... .

I have trouble getting rid of stuff, thinking that it'll fit me again one day or that the fashion will come back around (skinny ties here). But I'm learning. I had to have my closet rebuilt (the old one collapsed under the weight) and managed to sort through some stuff that just had to go. Honesty (with one's self is the best policy?)

At present I own a baker's dozen suits (four of which are decent quality), the same number of sportcoats (half of which were my Father's Harris Tweeds), fifteen or so odd trousers (with far too many cotton), 25 pairs of shoes and 300 ties.

As I upgrade the shoe wardrobe, I won't have any trouble getting rid of the cheap pairs. Worn out trousers (like cords and khakis) are used for puttering around the yard and house.

I'm loathe to get rid of the suits, but will have to face up to facts one day. I keep promising myself that once I own 5 perfect suits.... that'll be it. Yeah, right. They'll wind up being the standard against which I judge new purchases.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My rule of thumb is if I haven't worn it in 12 months, out it goes. I try not to buy stuff that overlaps with other things I already own.
This seems to limit what I buy and what I keep.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've yet to reach any sort of limit yet, but I AM looking to move into a two bedroom apartment when I go back to New York from London. You know, one for sleeping, one for the "office" which will really be the closet. It feels sinful to have a custom suit hanging in a full (not stuffed, thank god) closet.

I do agree though, that once you get to the 12 suits per season level, you probably don't need more. If they are good enough though, it's a shame to throw them away. Don't we all wish we inherited a wardrobe of excellent classic suits? There was an article on line once (can't remember where) about a guy who inherited hundreds of bespoke suits....

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wish I knew what the logical limit to my wardrobe is. Every time I think I'm satisfied I engage in a whole new level of excess and expand it further. Half the closets in my home are filled with my clothes now. Thank God I'm single...a female clothes horse would steal precious space from my collection.

In fact, the latest expansion can be laid directly at the feet of the people in this forum. Until two months ago I was happy with my wardrobe -- made up primarily of Armani Collezioni, Boss Hugo Hoss and Donna Karan Signature and Couture. Now I find myself considering (and buying) Lorenzini's, Turnbull & Asser and all the other quality clothes.

Damn you all. Damn you all to hell.

arvi

Reaction score
i'm afraid to count for fear of concluding what i already suspect subconsciously: i have no self-control and am an unbridled hedonist
blush.gif
i guesstimate: 12 suits, 20 sports jackets,200 ties, 20+ pair of shoes,50 belts,60+ dress shirts, 230+ sport shirts living in a new york city apt i'm learning to discard what i don't wear too frequently
cry.gif

STYLESTUDENT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those of us who know we lack discipline, maybe we should conduct ourselves like AA and take a pledge. Something like this: I'll buy "x" tomorrow (whatever you want-doesn't matter) and, after that, no more purchases for ___ (fill in number) months. I'll be the first, if any of us think this approach has merit. Don't know if I'm kidding or serious. But it's probably more similar to trying to get sober in a bar.
smile.gif

modsquad

Reaction score
I'll have enough when I can be invited to any event of any kind on the shortest possible notice and know that I can reach into the closet and pull out something appropriate and imaginative to wear and that I'll like it when I put it on. I want enough clothes to play roles: if I'm feeling biker, I want the jeans, the tank top, the leather, the metal. If I'm feeling Carnaby Street, I want the velvet blazer, the stripped flares, the tight suit. That goes for artsy, that goes for athletic, that goes for corporate, that goes for preppy, etc. And I want enough clothes so that my girlfriends don't have to put up with the same outfit or two every time we go someplace special.

Am I the only one here who thinks like this?

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Look at my signature. I was doing so well (Chelsea boots) in July, August, Sep, Oct, and then I slipped back into the morass of StyleForum coveting. Actually, taking an inventory has helped guide my purchases for the next two or three months. I've been able to avoid most impulse buys and even allowed myself the escape route of free returns for a recent Bluefly purchase.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I might be the odd one out here, but I have a pretty simple wardrobe. I am not intersted in having 50 suits, I have enough for what I need, most have at least 2 pairs of pants in order to last. I haven't bought a suit for 2 years, and I probrably will buy a few in 2005, but not more than 3 or so. I have shirts to last me for years, and I really don't want to have more than 4 or 5 pairs of dress shoes. I have gotten rid of most of my ties over recent years. Actually, as an ideal I would say that my warddrobe would be less than 10 ties, 20 shirts, 10 suits, 5 pair of shoes, and then various accessories. I don't want to spend too much time maintaining, or even thinking about what I wear in the morning.

jekv12

Reaction score
For those of you (ok, us) that have a lot of tailored clothing, I am curious: do you find yourself going to several favorites over and over? (I'm wondering if the 80/20 rule applies to members) how maniacal are you about rotating your clothes? It comes off the left side of the rack/closet, back in on right and you don't wear that garment again until it rotates through? Those of you with really large collections, maybe you rotate through blues, or stripes, or the Kitons before Brioni...
smile.gif
When I was just out of college, this was easy - I had only 3-4 suits and maybe 10 shirts, two pair of shoes (one black and one brown)... Today, if I exclude 2-3 garments as special occasion, I find I have a lot of everyday business wear. But among those items, I tend to wear several pieces much more often than others...yet they all fit and are all 'wearable', by which I mean not 80's leftovers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads